• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Will 96+ style power steering pump and bracket work on a 95?

Blaine B.

NAXJA Forum User
I am curious to if a 1996+ power steering pump and/or the bracket for the 1996+ setup will work on my 1995.

The reason I ask is I do plan on swapping on a 99 intake I have lying around and already have the 99+ intake and the proper power steering pump and power steering pump bracket that will work with the 99 intake.

I am wondering if the newer style pump alone or the newer style pump and the newer bracket will work on my 1995?

The power steering pump in my 95 is making worse noises everyday and I need something to get me by until I do the intake swap...so I was curious if these newer parts I had lying around would bolt up with the older style intake.

The 99 intake will work with the 96 power steering pump and bracket, it should bolt right on to replace the 95 power steering pump and bracket setup.

correct, and confirmed... in fact an earlier (pre 96) P/S pump will bolt in with a little modification, but might as well get a later one...

The bracket will work fine with your water pump mounts, no worries there either!

Yes, I do have the newer style pump with the holes in the pully to access the bolts.

Just need something to replace my 95's pump. And instead of buying a second older pump just to get swapped out in the coming months doesn't make sense :)

yeah the p/s pump can be mounted to the engine no problem, the bolt holes didn't move or anything

but don't try it until you do the intake swap, the pumps actually mount to the manifold, and the bracketry just stabilizes it

Yes, my old pump was making terrible noises today. Actually the pully has about a quarter inch play..bah....so much for a year and a half old AutoZone rebuilt.

Anyway you are right, the pre 96 intakes are different in terms of how the power steering bolts up.

I was able to use the 96+ bracket no problem. Then I installed the pump to the bracket, using different bolts with nuts on the backside to keep it secured to the bracket (since they weren't also threading into the intake)

I modified one of the existing brackets to connect the power steering pump to my old style intake. It is rock solid and will get me by without any problems until I swap on the 99 intake, probably sometime this spring or summer.

I also just relocated my 95's idler pully from the air conditioning bracket to the power steering bracket, where the idler pully now becomes the tensioner.

The 96+ Jeep's use shorter length belts so unfortunately I was not able to reuse my old Goodyear Gatorback belt. I am temporarily using a friend's 96 belt since we deleted the A/C compressor on his and moved the alternator up to the top.

I will guy another Gatorback belt for a 99 Cherokee soon.

I will post pics later tonight or tomorrow. Like I said this wasn't directly bolt on but does work, even if you use the pre 96 intake style that will not bolt up with the 96+ pump and bracket.

The whole reason I did this now was because I figured, why should I buy a pump for the old style setup when I will be swapping it out in a half year or less? Considering I had a 1999 bracket and pump lying in my workbench cubby..

Pump1.jpg

Pump2.jpg

Pump3.jpg

Back