• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to check after a 40 mph "flop"

Timber

NAXJA Forum User
Sorry about not searching. I have a bit of a headache right now, and I'm having a hard time finding what I'm looking for anyway. Tonight I hit some black ice while going ~40 down a paved back road. The Jeep spun sideways and apparently hit dry pavement, which put the Jeep on its side. I don't think it went completely over, but I don't really remember right now. Since I don't carry a cell phone (might have to rectify that now), I walked to a house where two guys who were home were nice enough to help me right the Jeep. The older guy even loaned me a spare tire since the front passenger's tire lost a bead and I didn't have my compressor with me. Anyway, other than loss of some fluids and denting that side of the Jeep up pretty good, it seems okay. I drove it, slowly, about 35 miles home.

What should be the order of operations here? Do the spark plugs need to be swapped out or at least pulled? Just top fluids off or do full changes of everything?

Thanks for any help.

check your fluids, if you drove it home then i dont think you got any fluids in your cylinders still. i would still check things out. after a roll over i would pull the fuel pump relay, disconnect the coil wire from the distributor, mark your plug wires so you dont mix them up, pull the plugs and note which cylinders they came out of, turn the engine to get any fluids out. turn the engine for 10 seconds every minute. for as lonf as it takes to get any oil out of the cylinders. replace your plugs if you want but at least clean them with some brake cleaner before reinstalling them.

is it smoking?

check your fluid levels and condition. check you air filter.

BIG once over ALL around and UPSIDE down.

Dood - he drove it 35 miles home. There's not gonna be any fluids in the cylinders. Unless it it's still smoking out the tail pipe after that long a drive..... the only time you need to pull spark plugs is immediately after a flop/roll where it sat in that position for a long period of time. And even then, there'd have to be a significant amount of fluid in the cylinders to have it pump out through the plug holes by cranking it. That process is generally used for a water flooded/hydro locked engine. (Yeah, I have first hand knowledge......:D)

Timber,

Sorry to hear about your flop. If it's running fine after your journey home, I'd just look to top off any fluids. If you lost any oil, I'd think it'd be pretty apparent in the engine compartment. If it's still smoking out the tail pipe, a little more run time should clear it up - but you'll want to clean/replace the spark plugs if that's the case, because they'll get pretty fouled up. I doubt you lost any coolant, but the windshield washer fluid probably drained/spilled and the power steering could have leaked a bit too. Don't overlook the trans fluid too - check that it's level as well.

I'd be more concerned about the structure of the pillars and roof at this point. If you laid it over on it's side and any significant weight was put along the top edge of the roof (along the drip rail) then your whole top half of the XJ might be tweaked to one side. Did the windshield crack at all? That's generally a sure sign that the pillar(s) moved from the flop. Check how the doors line up, gaps between the weather stripping, rear hatch alignment. Those ares should give you a good idea of the damage - or lack of damage.

Post pics if you get a chance.

Last edited:
check your fluids, if you drove it home then i dont think you got any fluids in your cylinders still. i would still check things out. ...........................BIG once over ALL around and UPSIDE down.

:eyes:

i rolled on my top and was righted within 5 minutes and still had almost a half quart in the 6 cylinders, not to mention the cup of oil in the intake.

hhhhhuuuuuummmmmmm,

Thanks, guys. I think I really only need to top off fluids, but I wanted to ask anyway. I'll post some pics of the damage in a bit. I think things are pretty f***ed up as far as the roof/windshield area. If the pics aren't any good (it's 10:15 p.m. here) I'll post in the morning.

EDIT: Oh, yeah--if it's too messed up structurally, what do I do about an insurance claim--I didn't call the police, so no police report.

Thanks again.

Last edited:
IMG_1699.jpg

IMG_1697.jpg

IMG_1701.jpg

IMG_1704.jpg

And yes, the windshield cracked.

just glad your OK!!!
Sorry i cant help, no experience in this area...yet.

I'd say it didn't go over on it's roof given that the crossbars of the roofrack are still straight.

Yeah. When I went out to take the pictures, I figured that out. I don't know why I couldn't remember, other than the goose egg on my head that's like a B-cup booby.

I just don't know if I should call my ins. agent tomorrow or not. If you saw the pics, I obviously don't care too much about its looks. I do have two small children, though, and I want it to be structurally sound.

If you're paying for insurance you should make them work for you for a change. I'd give them a call and have an adjuster come out and look at it. Even if they do not total it and you decide not to get it repaired by the shop you can get a check yourself.

You have full coverage?

Of course I have full coverage. I guess I'm concerned because I didn't get any kind of police/accident report. It was out in the middle of farm country.

I think I've heard of others not filing police reports and being able to get compensated.

And plus who feels like waiting for police when you just want to get back on your feet and go home and warm up.

Your insurance company will laugh their a$$ off if they see your XJ,You can bet thats not what they think they have been insuring.

A few states require you to file an accident report for single vehicle accidents, although most don't. If you're in one of those states, the insurance company could possibly deny coverage. If you don't, then the insurance company can not legally deny you coverage.

Either way, call you insurance company asap. Some policies require you to report the accident within 24-hrs. More than likely they'll call it totalled and offer you a measily sum considering the erm, "non-stock" appearance.

I don't think his XJ looks bad except for the terrible paintjob with overspray everywhere and an obvious lack of prep of the paint underneath :laugh:

Besides that though, it looks fine.

I'm just thinking they might not pay to bring body panels back to new condition, when its obvious they were hacked and chopped before any accident. Or they might be generous and provide you a free hacksaw, hammer, and can of OD green paint.

Plus the fact it was already damaged in the rear previously without being repaired,thus the plastic side/rear windows and altered tailights,rock rail welded to factory rocker,cut rear quarters,etc....

Yeah, all I did was cut and fold my rear rockers, cut out my rockers and trimmed the fenders and bumpers and when my Jeep was hit and parked, it was totaled...they told me it was worth around $4500 but had $6000 worth of "unrelated" damages (modifications) so it was worth $0.

But I argued and got $1750 which is $50 more than I paid for it in the first place and am still driving it today.

Insurance companies BLOW BIG DEEK!

Back