• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

4x4/hike/backpack - Anza Borrego, Oriflamme Mine ruins - Dec 26-28

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
Hey gang,

I think I'm gonna head to Anza Borrego with a small group and split off to do some exploring.

Friday evening: Arrive and camp near Blair Valley/Box Canyon.

Saturday: Backpack to the GPS coords. of the abandoned Oriflamme Mine with Lugnut the Adventure Dog. Poke around, take some pics. No idea if there's anything left there at all. Depending on time, may or may not camp there for the night.

Sunday: Back to the Jeep and heading home.

Would anyone like to join me on this adventure? Let me know!

There's not too much in Anza Borrego period from what I've seen online. But no...not too much.

Oh there's plenty. Jeep Squeeze, Heart Attack Hill, Diablo Dropoff, etc.

Oh there's plenty. Jeep Squeeze, Heart Attack Hill, Diablo Dropoff, etc.

I'll poke around more. From what I've seen on YouTube, it's either stupid easy dirt road (not worth mentioning), or axle-snapping difficult (not an option). Didn't seem to be a whole lot in between.

But the park is so huge too, that with over 500 miles of trails, I wasn't planning on burning multiple tanks of gas this weekend wheeling. It was more for the hike...unless I happen to discover I'm near a fun 4x4 trail, then I'll hit it.

Do you know what trails are close to the Box Canyon/Blair Valley areas?

While the majority of the trails are not difficult the scenary is incredible, especially in the spring with wildflowers or like one year when we were wheelin in the snow (Blair Valley area) Some of the slot canyons that you can drive up are pretty awesome, followed by slot canyons that you hike up. I wouldn't mind doing another sping trip.

Back