• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

died in traffic

vozo112

NAXJA Forum User
ok so i bought a 97 sport 5 speed with 96000 miles about 3 weeks ago. i know a bit about mechanics and from what i see this jeep is very reliable. i took it on its first out of state trip yesterday, drove it about 4 hours to go snowboarding. on the return trip, i would say about 1 hour from home i hit insane traffic by the george washington bridge. i was in bumper to bumper for about an hour and a half and suddenly, with no sign of stalling, it stalls out 20 feet from a toll booth. i tried starting it and it was just cranking, not sputtering or anything. a towtuck behind me towed me to a parking lot, $125 later, and i get in the car and it starts right up. WTF!!!! and i was able to drive it another 1.5 hours home with no problems.

now i was always looking at the gauges and oil pressure was perfect, temp was about 200, volts was just above 13. what could the problem be?? i cant have this happen again because where i live i am always in traffic.

1 more thing. about 30 seconds before it happened, i noticed that the clutch was getting spongey. i dont know if that had anything to do with it.

x2 on the CPS.

They're known to have heat soak problems, which would explain why it failed in heavy stop-n-go traffic. Once it cooled, it functioned again. Noting your spongy clutch, I'd bet on this, as your clutch fluid was probably getting pretty hot.

It's sort of a PITA to change, but can be done yourself. There's a bunch of posts on changing it here. I found it easier from below with a couple of *LONG* extensions and a universal joint.

Back