• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rebuilding the Stock Ebrake Tension Adjuster (97+)

asp

NAXJA Forum User
In the process of lifting my jeep and swapping axles, I came to the point where i had to swap in my new axle and therefore do my brakes and adjust my ebrake. we all know how quickly those adjusters rust up and become immovable, so I rebuilt it from normal hardware store parts. to get it apart, i ground one side of the cross pin in the connection to the front line and also the sides of the T-bolt down so it was round and slid out of its holder. This was replaced with a 5" long 5/16-18 carriage bolt whose head was turned into a T and the cross pin was replaced with a small bolt. i used a 10-24 screw, but i wasn't sure how big the hole in the bracket was when i was at the store getting hardware. i'd imagine that a 1/4-20 would also fit. put it all together and you have an adjustable ebrake again for only 20 minutes work or so and a few bucks. hope that helped and hope it made sense.

I'm running the YJ E-brake cables and had to extend my adjuster. I just welded an extension to the stock balancer and extended it back a few inches. I had to re-tap the adjuster bolt on mine, it almost locked up and broke while running the adjuster nut off.

brakelines4be1.jpg

Back