• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Have 3" lift 31" tires what's next...

XJeffro

NAXJA Forum User
I just got a 3" lift, 31" BFG A/T KO's, and 15x8 rockcrawlers.

I was wondering what the next best thing is to get. I would like to get a few more inches out of the lift, would coil spacers or shackles work?

Do I need a transfer case drop, a steering stabilizer, etc?

NAXJA

Coil spacers and shackles are good for another inch or two, but you will notice the difference in ride quality.

You gotta tell us more about your rig... how did you get the 3"? (as in leaf pack? AAL? god forbid blocks?)

What year XJ do you have?? There are other things to consider when you go higher and they vary from year to year (as in pre 97 and 97+)...

Kejtar

3" is a good place to stop while you get caught up on rock rails, tranny/transfer case skids, gas tank skid, front and rear recovery hooks, cb radio, fire extinguisher, auxillary lighting, etc.

Going past 3" will show up weaknesses in steering and track bar, hydraulic and parking brake lines, shock length, slip yoke engagement, etc. These things will need to be addressed as you continue to go up.

MaXJohnson said:
3" is a good place to stop while you get caught up on rock rails, tranny/transfer case skids, gas tank skid, front and rear recovery hooks, cb radio, fire extinguisher, auxillary lighting, etc.

Going past 3" will show up weaknesses in steering and track bar, hydraulic and parking brake lines, shock length, slip yoke engagement, etc. These things will need to be addressed as you continue to go up.

If you already have all of the stuff mentioned byMaxJohnson and other basic stuff then I would consider a rear locker and a front if you have the bucks.

its a '95. i got new springs up front, and AAL in rear. upgraded to new shocks too.

what do the front and rear lockers do?

bigger shackles in the rear allow for more spring flex. lockers are devices that you install in the differentials of the axles, and make both tires on that axle spin together always instead of just the one getting the least amount of traction.

XJeffro said:
its a '95. i got new springs up front, and AAL in rear. upgraded to new shocks too.

A locker will make it so that both wheels on an axle have traction instead of just one. I have a PowerTrax locker in the rear of my XJ and I'm going to install a Truetrac in the front.

Armor!!!

Protect your rig, first and foremost.
What you need to do now is add about 300 lbs of black steel to your rig.
It's not seksi, and no one at the mall will notice, but if you hang here, arm yourself.
Good luck.

XJeffro said:

Get out wheelin' next. Do a lot of it, in a lot of different terrian. Then the answer to your question will come to you.

Patience

What Vug said. Experience will teach you what you want/need alot more than we can. All of us NAXJA folks can give you plenty of good advice, but only YOU can determine what your needs are for your unique style of wheeling.

Rocker panel (area below doors) protection is pretty crucial to XJ's with that much lift. It is a fairly flimsy spot and easy to smash on rocks.

Lockers are nice, but not really that necessary for moderate wheelin. They can make a beginner look like a pro sometimes though.

Good luck and have a ton of fun getting used to your Jeep!

Jared

Back