• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Using my hitch for light/medium recovery?

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
Just want some second opinions on using this hitch for recovery. A class III hitch is not in my budget right now. The plan was to take the ball out of the hitch and hook in there.
hitch001.jpg

hitch002.jpg

hitch003.jpg

hitch004.jpg

hitch005.jpg

At least it's tied to the frame, so you could hook into the hole after removing the ball, but never use those holes in the plate bolted to the bumper... It's not ideal, but in an emergency it's your best bet...

I don't plan on being "the recovery guy" anyway. It's no class III hitch, but I still think the load is distributed enough for at least some smaller recoveries. I do plan on getting a class III hitch sometime in my future, but that's down the road at least a little bit.

i wouldnt use it. see if anyone is making a junkyard run and could pick up a factory class III hitch for you for cheap.

I had that kind of hitch on my 87, and replaced it only because the ball position was wrong for my camp trailer. I once tried to pull a Chevy pickup out of a ditch with a chain. I bent both axle shafts on my D35. I did not damage the hitch. I did a couple of other recoveries later with a proper strap with no ill effects at all. If you look at the design, you'll find that it's mounted almost as fully to the frame as the Class III hitch, and has a reinforcing plate in addition between it and the frame, as well as being mounted at multiple points to the unibody and the bumper.

I like the receiver hitch better for its versatility and the ability to fit it with a proper recovery hook (don't loop the strap over the ball - wrap and tie it) , but I don't think you need to worry about breaking the one that's on there now.

I had that kind of hitch on my 87, and replaced it only because the ball position was wrong for my camp trailer. I once tried to pull a Chevy pickup out of a ditch with a chain. I bent both axle shafts on my D35. I did not damage the hitch. I did a couple of other recoveries later with a proper strap with no ill effects at all. If you look at the design, you'll find that it's mounted almost as fully to the frame as the Class III hitch, and has a reinforcing plate in addition between it and the frame, as well as being mounted at multiple points to the unibody and the bumper.

I like the receiver hitch better for its versatility and the ability to fit it with a proper recovery hook (don't loop the strap over the ball - wrap and tie it) , but I don't think you need to worry about breaking the one that's on there now.
I'm going to take out the ball and put a D-link through the ball mount loop. Glad to hear someone can confirm this hitch can be used for recoveries.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Look at the way hitches are done for NATO and European vehicles--basically the same as yours.

Plenty of yards near me, I'll pick one up next paycheck. Yes, I'm that broke.

heard that! you should be able to find one for cheap though!

Plenty of yards near me, I'll pick one up next paycheck. Yes, I'm that broke.

i for one (and many here as well) completely understand. i am and have been in that situation many times

City bus got stuck in a snow bank turning a corner, then tried to floor it backwards and forwards and broke a chain. I'd have pictures, but my phones being an arsehole.

You could use it for light recovery, like hondas and stuff, but i wouldn't want to put much force on it. So no jarring or snapping a chain/strap tight.

Added note: The factory bumper hitch installation uses the same nut strips as the class III, so yokur vehicla already has a set. So if things are not too rusty you'll be in good shape for putting on a class III hitch. You should always try to get the nut strips anyway when you buy a Mopar hitch from the junkyard, but if you can't find them, recycle your old ones.

If the nut strips are rusty, and you need to restore the threads, or if you have trouble finding the correct metric bolts, you can retap them with an NC tap and use US bolts rather than metric. I can't remember now whether it's 1/2 or 7/16, but there is an NC size that will go right in with the same thread pitch, just a little bit larger diameter.

City bus got stuck in a snow bank turning a corner, then tried to floor it backwards and forwards and broke a chain. I'd have pictures, but my phones being an arsehole.

You could use it for light recovery, like hondas and stuff, but i wouldn't want to put much force on it. So no jarring or snapping a chain/strap tight.

Pics or you're lying! :D I gotta see those. tell your phone to quit being a dick!

I have that same hitch on my 88. Keep it light and try to pull straight. The "tongue" on it doesn't look like it will take a good lateral load very well.

The "tongue" on it doesn't look like it will take a good lateral load very well.

Very true! Other than that, and the rust (i'd be worried about where it ties to the rusted out bumper) I like the D ring idea... be safe, and pull a bus with it... It might never fail on you, but just make sure everyone is out of the way in case it does...

I had an 88 with the same set up as yours. I did pull a Tahoe out with it once, but like you said I was not the recovery guy. The heep is too light to be able to pull much any way. Most of the time pulling the Tahoe I did not get good traction and would just spin and slip until I could get a tire to bite.

The hitch held strong and never gave me any problems. I did have hooks on the front though so if I could I would use those.

Back