• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finished my shock mounts!

crazyjim

NAXJA Forum User
Kinda...

I checked around to everyone I could think of, and nobody had a stock height lower shock mount in the rear. Which is important to me as I need up travel, and have my shocks a certain length. A "low profile" mount would eliminate LOTS of up travel for me. So I decided to build a replica of the stocker, but quite a bit stronger :D

I started off by making a cardboard template, and cutting out four sides. I knew my axle tube was 3" so I just used a 3" hole saw, and cut right down the middle.

guess.jpg

The sides are 3/16" and the center sections are 1/4".

IMG_0751.jpg

IMG_0752.jpg

Then we got her all welded up!

IMG_0761.jpg

After that it was time for a trip to the hardware store. We picked up some 4" x 5/8" grade 8 bolts, along with some sleeves, washers, and nuts.

Don't mind the hole being off center, I fudged it up :(

IMG_0763.jpg

IMG_0765.jpg

We then welded the bolt from the backside, and also welded this sleeve to the face of the mount. This gives a nice offset from the frame of the mount so the shock doesn't bind at all. Here one is completely finished and one is missing a single plate (figured out a better way to weld/assemble the second time around.

IMG_0776.jpg

Then we got to work mounting them up, they're beefy as hell!!

IMG_0780.jpg

they look good, but if you were gonna do all that work...why didnt you move the mounts up more for clearance??

they look good, but if you were gonna do all that work...why didnt you move the mounts up more for clearance??
picard-facepalm.jpg

first sentence:
I checked around to everyone I could think of, and nobody had a stock height lower shock mount in the rear. Which is important to me as I need up travel, and have my shocks a certain length. A "low profile" mount would eliminate LOTS of up travel for me. So I decided to build a replica of the stocker, but quite a bit stronger :D

Last edited:
WOW, you weld just like i do, ok not really i suck azz welding:doh:
nice looking rambo weapon shock holder thingy's:D

Those things are sick, good job man!!

why all the effort for single shear? did you consider doing double shear?

looks sick man. I wanna do some like that on mine. First I love the wheelin so I move mounts up then I love to go fast so back down they go for travel. So what upper mount/shocks are you runnin?

Nice job. You have a right to take pride in your work. 99% of the guys on here would love to be able to fab like that.

Now comes the part I hate.....welding up side down.

Back