• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

jeep dilemma...

Hellbent

NAXJA Forum User
just talking out loud here...
i have decided to put some real effort into getting my fsj waggy back on(and off) the road. realistically, this necessitates getting rid of one of the two xj's. the problem is i can't decide if i should sell the '96(4x4, d35, man trans, 2dr, 2" bb, etc) and keep the '88(2x, man trans, 4.5", d44) and just convert it to 4x4(which i intended to do from day one). or vice-versa. i already have a front axle with the proper 4.10's to match the d44, a couple driveshafts, and pretty much everything else except the 4x4 tranny and a t-case to put in the renix. the tranny/t-case could obviously be picked up cheap and swapped in within a weekend. also, i have always been more attached to my renix for some reason...:dunno:
the '88 already has some desert scars, and the '96 would surely bring more $$$ if sold, which could then be put toward both other jeeps. what to do, what to do?

Build the one the way you want it. Then put the other back together with the stuff you dont want and sell it.

keep the 2door,, they're badass!

I'm partial to my 2dr I love that thing, currently looking for a soft top though.

I'm partial to my 2dr I love that thing, currently looking for a soft top though.

ya, yours is mega badass with the od paint job and whatnot.. i have a 2door, but needs a new engine :(

can you switch lift parts over from the 2wd to the 4wd?

You need to ask yourself what one would be more useful to you then get rid of the other.

Post Pics of both so we can see.

if i convert the renix to 4wd, it will be more useful with less work than the '96. the lift is already there as is the d44 rear. i don't care for abs, the ho has it-the renix does not. the '88 alread has a bored tb/spacer(i know, i know), borla header, hi-altitude cps, 5.0 injectors, etc., so the power difference is really negligible. and i like the few scars on the '88.

can you switch lift parts over from the 2wd to the 4wd?

i could, and was going to. but it seems like less work to bolt the d30(currently sitting in front of the jeep) in the front, swap in a 4x trans/t-case and be done. i should also mention that the 2wd tranny is already out of the renix due to a blown slave cylinder.

How often, and how hard, do you wheel? Are we talking running the Hammers twice a month, or a Big Bear trip twice a year?

After struggling to pass smog and seeing the renix jeeps have almost TWICE the max allowable as the HO. Keep and build the renix (did I just say that???).

just talking out loud here...
i have decided to put some real effort into getting my fsj waggy back on(and off) the road. realistically, this necessitates getting rid of one of the two xj's. the problem is i can't decide if i should sell the '96(4x4, d35, man trans, 2dr, 2" bb, etc) and keep the '88(2x, man trans, 4.5", d44) and just convert it to 4x4(which i intended to do from day one). or vice-versa. i already have a front axle with the proper 4.10's to match the d44, a couple driveshafts, and pretty much everything else except the 4x4 tranny and a t-case to put in the renix. the tranny/t-case could obviously be picked up cheap and swapped in within a weekend. also, i have always been more attached to my renix for some reason...:dunno:
the '88 already has some desert scars, and the '96 would surely bring more $$$ if sold, which could then be put toward both other jeeps. what to do, what to do?

I say keep the '96. Transfer the lift and the D44 from the '88 to the '96. It took me about 18 hours over 3 days to swap out 2 axles, complete lift (4.5" RE Super Flex with drop brackets) weld up a spring perch, replace a wheel cylinder, and a few few other little things.

I would rather do that, than swap a tranny & transfer case to convert a 2wd to 4wd.

E

I say do compression checks on both motors and go with the one that has the best compression. Put all the best parts into the one that is already 4WD because it's a pain to swap. Part out the other one.

Back