• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Coyote Canyon (upper section) day after Christmas?

Oatmeal

NAXJA Forum User
Me and a freind (or freinds) are thinking about making a little impromtu run down to Bailey's cabin the day after Christmas to hangout and have lunch and maybe let my spastic dogs run around. If you're not familiar with the area it starts in the town of Anza and goes down a rocky little descent (climb on the way out....duh!) known by some as the Turkey Track (don't know why). It's not really difficult but, it's really scenic and I usually see the same herd of wild horses. Anybody that has wheeled with me before, knows that I usually show up in my Toyota but, I'll probably take my XJ this time (most of the guys don't believe I actually have one!). So, if anybody is interested post up and I'll figure out a meeting place and time. Hope you all have a nice Christmas!------------Hans

Last edited:
Dude that's in my neighborhood and sounds like lots o fun but I gotta work and my front axle is bent causing death wobble :( I hope I can make this run with you another time!

I used to wheel and camp in Coyote Canyon every Thanksgiving (since 1987) before they closed the middle of it. I'd come in from Borrego Springs and camp in Sheep Canyon (there's a cool hike up the canyon that takes you to some palms and a natural spring) from there, I'd go further up the main (Coyote) canyon and camp in Alder Canyon where there were some really nice campsites shaded by a bunch of (Alder?) trees with the creek running behind you, from there a little side trip up Horse Canyon where there was some fun (not hard) wheeling......there was a steep switchback trail (I couldn't find it last time I was there) that climbed way up and gave a fantastic view of the canyon. I camped up there one night but, a thunder (and lightning) storm chased me down! Yeah, it's a nice place, too bad you can't travel all the way through anymore......you have to decide if you want to run the upper or lower half now.----------Hans

Just got back home (around 7:15).......they ruined one of my all time favorite trails! The "Turkey Track", the semi challenging descent/ascent is no more, they took a bulldozer and graded the entire length of it......it might as well be paved. Now anybody in a Honda Pilot or Ford Escape (2WD!) can easily cruise up and down it! Why would they do something like that? On a positive note though, me and the kid took our trucks (yeah, I was in my Toyota again) way deep into Horse Canyon and were greeted with some really good wheeling......lots of low range boulder crawling that would have been really tough without at least one locked axle. Can't wait to explore the entire length and maybe camp (I doubt you'd ever see a Ranger back there, I don't think their vehicles would make it back there and they don't normaly patrol the upper half of Coyote Canyon, anyway) when I have more time. It was a spectacularly beautiful (and cold!) day and my pups had alot of fun so, it wasn't a total bust. Hope you all had a great day as well!----------Hans

Graded the grade... ??? too bad... It use to be an amazing ride... bummer.

Curt

Back