• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Possible economic riots/Martial law

Darky

NAXJA Forum User
[URL="http://www.worldnetdaily.com/index.php?fa=PAGE.view&pageId=83977" said:
World Net Daily[/URL]]
Paulson discussed worst-case scenario at bailout meeting – declare martial law

Pentagon resources and U.S. troops may be used if needed to quell protests and bank runs during an economic crisis, the U.S. Army War College's Strategic Institute reported.

"Widespread civil violence inside the United States would force the defense establishment to reorient priorities in extremis to defend basic domestic order and human security," the War College study states.

Incidents of economic collapse, terrorism and disruption of legal order could require deployment of forces within the U.S., it said.

A "strategic shock" could require the nation to use "military force against hostile groups inside the United States."

International Monetary Fund Managing Director Dominique Strauss-Kahn has warned that advanced nations could face civil unrest during distressful economic times

"ocial unrest may happen in many countries – including advanced economies" if the economic crises are not properly dealt with, Strauss-Kahn said.

"He added that violent protests could break out in countries worldwide if the financial system was not restructured to benefit everyone rather than a small elite," London's Guardian reported.

In a recession where consumer spending is plummeting, foreclosures are rampant, workers are losing jobs, credit is tight and markets are strained, some are warning about a worst-case scenario.

Last month, trends forecaster Gerald Celente told Fox News that America will morph into the first "undeveloped" nation of the world by 2012. He said there will be a tax revolution marked by "food riots, squatter rebellion, tax revolts and job marches." He also said by 2012, the holidays will be more about getting food rather than gifts.

According to the Phoenix Business Journal, U.S. Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., and U.S. Rep. Brad Sherman, D-Calif., said Treasury Secretary Henry Paulson considered the prospect of civil unrest while he pushed for September's Wall Street bailout – even suggesting martial law might be essential.

Arizona Gov. Janet Napolitano, Barack Obama's pick for secretary of Homeland Security, would not provide comment to the Business Journal on the possibility of civil unrest during economic crisis. But state and local police indicated that they have trained for such an event.

"The Phoenix Police Department is not expecting any civil unrest at this time, but we always train to prepare for any civil unrest issue. We have a Tactical Response Unit that trains continually and has deployed on many occasions for any potential civil unrest issue," Phoenix Police spokesman Andy Hill said.

"We have well established plans in place for such civil unrest," Scottsdale Police spokesman Mark Clark told the Business Journal.

Maricopa County Sheriff Deputy Chief Dave Trombi concurred: "We're prepared."

Nick Dranias, director of constitutional government at the libertarian Goldwater Institute, told the Phoenix Business Journal declaration of martial law would allow U.S. armed forces to control civilian authorities.

While he said the Posse Comitatus Act limits the military's role in domestic law enforcement, he referenced a 1994 U.S. Defense Department Directive (DODD 3025) that gives military commanders authority during domestic emergencies to "save lives, prevent suffering or mitigate great property damage," according to the report.

"I don't think it's likely," he said. "But it's not impossible."

Discuss

I better go buy a gun

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that 'they' aren't out to get you. . .

That being said, I don't think that kind of situation is likely to happen.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean that 'they' aren't out to get you. . .

Hey, the Marines are trying to observe CHP drunk driver checkpoints...it's already happening...;)

Probably not, but if you're prophesying doom and gloom, it makes good press.

Hey, SBrad001, get back to work.

Wow...I'm pretty sure I mentioned something like this several times several months ago and I was met with the f*cking tin foil hat comments. Good to see you guys joining the club...

Wow...I'm pretty sure I mentioned something like this several times several months ago and I was met with the f*cking tin foil hat comments. Good to see you guys joining the club...
Take off your damned tin foil hat!

:D

I'm not entirely convinced it'll be as bad as some think, but I've been working to get my XJ running/legal again just in case I need to start getting around while avoiding main roads...;)

Probably not, but if you're prophesying doom and gloom, it makes good press.

Hey, SBrad001, get back to work.

This is work. Very technical and demanding stuff. Probably much too technical for average layman. ;)

Take off your damned tin foil hat!

:D

I'm not entirely convinced it'll be as bad as some think, but I've been working to get my XJ running/legal again just in case I need to start getting around while avoiding main roads...;)

Well, you're headed in the right direction at least. I've been doing that for months. I have enough gasoline for at least 3 tanks in the garage and I put all my survival gear in the back. I'm ready, at least for a couple of weeks. Just inherited some shotguns and rifles from the grandfather. Better start cleaning them off and getting them back in working order...

Well, judging by this thread and others,(guns, checkpoints,etc) we all may not be on the same page, but we're all in the same book if you will.

I think the lesson in all this is to prepare and be self sufficient as much as possible and not depend on an entity such as the government if at all possible.

I don't think riots will happen, but I'm keeping a watchful eye as always on world events as well as the ones here.

That's essentially where I'm at. Being prepared. Between all of us (me and my wife's family, and mine as well if we can all find somewhere to get together) we could last for quite a while on our own.

When you need to escape CA, let us know! Man, I see a great Sci Fi movie in the making...

Instead of having to survive after a nuclear/biological attack, you have to escape the general populace gone nuts and seek havens in other parts of the country...

If I flee to anywhere, it'd likely be NY, my mom's on 70 acres up there. I'll just have to get some blood thickener for my wife, she gets cold when it's 60 out! :D

There will always be plans to implement Martial Law incase some sort of meltdown happens. These plans have existed for decades way back though the Cold War days, and get pulled out and evaluated every once and again.

Keep in mind that the chain of Policing in any State is LEO then the State Patrol. The Governor may then call out the National Guard, and then if needed, ask for assistance from the US Military.

You folks talk as if there is an imminent danger of Society as a whole imploding. There is not. About the only thing which would cause widespread lawlessness is not the collapse of Wall Street, but the collapse of the Government and it's ability to uphold the laws we gave them to enforce.

The Tin Foil, self centered, survivalist talk is entertaining, but if you really believe the stories that the SciFi Channel tosses out as fiction lately, you need a psychiatrist. The actual result of economic collapse will be more along the lines of "The Grapes of Wrath".

There is a difference between making sure you don't loose your freedoms, and seeing paranoid dilusions everywhere you look. Our Government is much more subtle than that. The bill is presented to Congress, and WE take out Rights away. If you don't believe that's how it happens, examine how the Patriot Act was passed. Nothing was hidden from view, WE did that with eyes wide open.

I better go buy a gun

I sold all of mine...don't have a single one anymore.
But if this scenario happens, i'll be good with my m1 and a couple of bandoliers.....i mean I would have been good if I didn't lose it..or sell it...whatever:eyes:

I sold all of mine...don't have a single one anymore.
But if this scenario happens, i'll be good with my m1 and a couple of bandoliers.....i mean I would have been good if I didn't lose it..or sell it...whatever:eyes:

I know. It was tough losing my 3-gun, medium range solution. A good sidearm or two, a good shotgun or two, and a good mil-rifle platform or two. :( Hurri-fire-boat accidents really bring the suck.

You need a good compound bow and lots of practice, 100 or so arrows, mix of field tips for practice and some good hunting tips and you can boot strap yourself as needed. The last thing you want to do in a nasty situation is advertise your presence with a loud bang. BTW, suppressors are not that hard to build from scratch, just keep the rounds sub sonic. Thats whats nice about a .45, barrels are easy to get in varying length for various modifications.

Back