• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Finally got to get the new suspension dirty...

Daedalus454

NAXJA Forum User
Well it took me long enough, but I finally took the XJ out and got it dirty last week. It was the first time I'd had it off road since installing the T&T long arms and the RE XD trackbar and brace.

First I left the swaybar connected to try my hand at some "fast stuff." The front end ate up the bumps, very impressive on washboard sections. I did end up destroying a click pin on my JKS quicker disconnects - I had not checked the swaybar's travel, and it turns out that my swaybar will bottom out against the inner fenders well before I hit my bumpstops. I ended up punching two holes in my inner fenders where the bolts stick through the top of the quicker discos, destroying the passenger side click pin, and bending the passenger's axle-end disco mount.

Disconnected, it flexed very nicely, easily maxing out my 10" shocks. My bumpstops are almost perfect, stopping compression with about 1/4" of shaft showing on the shock during full flex. Fully extended, the coil springs just barely unseat at the top - less than 1/16" of an inch. The brake hoses were pulled nearly straight, but I don't feel that there was any actual tension pulling on the hoses.

The rear end leaves much to be desired. My horrible shackle angle really bit me in the behind, I got next to no droop at all from ride height, and the sharp jolts from the rear were in stark contrast to the smooth front. Additionally, my tires ate my inner fenders before contacting the hard bump stops, so I have some more work to do there.

The trip to my wheeling spot (Jawbone Canyon in Mojave) let me know that I need a bit more work on my driveline angles - the front has a rapid vibration that starts around 60 MPH, the rear has a slower vibe that starts about the same speed.

Tips and advice are certainly appreciated. Let me know what you think.

Finally, here are a few gratuitous poser pictures. :D

P1000186.jpg

P1000188.jpg

P1000190.jpg

Very nice! But it is too clean.... LOL

Lookin good!

Pretty sweet. I love my TnT setup.

Yeah, i learned a while ago to never do anything except drive on the road with my sway bars connected. I ripped out one of those little pins and a rubber bushing (RE Gen IIs) one time when i was doing some light wheeling with them connected. Since then ive made sure to pull them off every time.

That brake line looks a little too streched for comfort in my book... I would suggest either getting some YJ ones or just buy some extended lines.

Also, nice tie rod :D

Pretty sweet. I love my TnT setup.

Yeah, i learned a while ago to never do anything except drive on the road with my sway bars connected. I ripped out one of those little pins and a rubber bushing (RE Gen IIs) one time when i was doing some light wheeling with them connected. Since then ive made sure to pull them off every time.

That brake line looks a little too streched for comfort in my book... I would suggest either getting some YJ ones or just buy some extended lines.

Also, nice tie rod :D

Well, those actually are YJ brake lines. You can see by the picture that there is still a curve in the line, my thinking was that if it got pulled straight that would be "too tight," but with the availability of cheap brake lines from stock vehicles (1990 Chevy C1500 2wd truck) there's really no reason not to put a longer one on I suppose.

I'm not sure what you mean about the tierod, am I missing something? I'm running brand-new V8 ZJ steering with Spicer and NAPA rod ends...

Back