• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

interchange parts

Taillamps? No. Front valance? Maybe.

There are quite a few here who have use front clip external parts from a 1997-2001XJ on 1996-back XJ's with good results, but the taillamps are different, and won't fit. I don't know if the liftgate can be swapped, or if the mounting patterns on the taillamp assemblies are the same, since I haven't had a chance to compare them.

Typically, the breakdown is as follows..

Front Clip Parts -
1984-1986 (short front clip.)
1987-1996 (long front clip to accommodate inline six)
1997-2001 ("edge rounded" front clip - can be swapped onto 1987-1996XJ.)
Parts for front clip interchange between two-door and four-door vehicles. "Front Clip" is defined as anything forward of the A-Pillar.

Main Body Parts -
1984-1996
1997-2001
Note that 2-door doors are longer than four-door front doors, and will not interchange. I don't recall exactly, but I believe the MJ doors follow the 2-door XJ sizing - can anyone confirm?

Glass -
1984-1996
1997-2001
(That may interchange farther, but my copy of Hollander's is not handy at the moment...)

Electronics -
1984-1990 w/AMC engine are RENIX "pre-OBD," and will interchange within displacement. I believe the ignition module/coil is the same between I4 and I6, but I have to be sure.
1984-1986 w/GM 2.8L V6 - OBD-I General Motors engine controls.
1991-1995 w/AMC engine - use Chrysler Corporate PCM/SBEC OBD-I engine controller. Typically does not interchange by year.
1996-2001 w/AMC engine - use Chrysler Corporate PCM/SBEC/SMEC OBD-II engine controller. Typically does not interchange by year.

I'll have to dig out my Hollander's Interchange if you need more than that - I haven't gotten around to coding it into HTML yet...

5-90

5-90 said:
Note that 2-door doors are longer than four-door front doors, and will not interchange. I don't recall exactly, but I believe the MJ doors follow the 2-door XJ sizing - can anyone confirm?
MJ doors are interchangeable with four-door XJ front doors.

Also, woodironman, take a look at this page, if you haven't already.

Last edited:
5-90 said:
I don't know if the liftgate can be swapped, or if the mounting patterns on the taillamp assemblies are the same, since I haven't had a chance to compare them.
I have compared them. They don't interchange.

how about an interior swap?
Would love to swap a 97+ dash, center console etc into my 89.

Figured it'd turn up in a search but not so much. I'm sure it's been done

philip_g said:
how about an interior swap?
Would love to swap a 97+ dash, center console etc into my 89.

Figured it'd turn up in a search but not so much. I'm sure it's been done
First, your '89 has a mechanical speedometer, and the '97 and newer use an electronic speedo.

Second, Chrysler in 1991 reversed the polarity of the gauges., as well as the ohm range of the sebders. So putting a newer instrument cluster in your '89 will result in gauges that read backward, and would not be accurate even if you reversed the numbers on the dials.

Back