• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Frosty windshield in the morning

Michaelarchangelo

NAXJA Forum User
Now that it is cooling off here, I noticed that my windsheild frosts up a lot in the morning. Wipers or the defroster do not seem to make much diffrence, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a better way to get it to clear up (rather than wait 10mins).

there are windshield washer fluid heaters on the market. Ablast of warm fluid should cut down on idle time waiting for the engine to get to temp to heat the defroster.

Lee

Old gym set
Hang two of these under it
095%20Propane%20heater%201150000btu.jpg

Blow dryer

OR
Electric table top heater, about the size of an alarm clock radio on the dash, turn it on about 10 minutes before you leave.

Old girlfriend back in the 70's had a fiat, electric heater, had heat/defrosters as soon as you turned it on... course it had this problem with starting in cold weather :D :D :D if I forgot to stick the dipstick heater in the night before.

Put a piece of poster board or one of those roll-up kids sleds on the windshield at night before you go to bed and pull it and the frost off in the AM. Just stick it under the wipers.

If you can find one at a good price an engine block heater will give you warm defrosters right away.

Don't exactly know how the windshields are on the XJ's, but if they're anything like my dad's CJ-7, your windshield may be coming apart. The laminate is coming apart on his, causing moisture to actually get in between the pieces of glass. The only cure for that is new windshield.

Drag your lazy ass out of bed 10 minutes earlier, go outside and start the vehicle and let it warm up while you have a quick cup of coffee.:doh:

87manche said:
move to a warmer locale.

heh, it doesn't get much warmer than where I live.

RenegadeStang said:
Don't exactly know how the windshields are on the XJ's, but if they're anything like my dad's CJ-7, your windshield may be coming apart. The laminate is coming apart on his, causing moisture to actually get in between the pieces of glass. The only cure for that is new windshield.

That is kinda what it seems like. It isn't on the glass, more like in the glass. Thanks for the info!

Michaelarchangelo said:
heh, it doesn't get much warmer than where I live.
That is kinda what it seems like. It isn't on the glass, more like in the glass. Thanks for the info!

That I have never seen before, seen older ones turn white but once they turn white they never go back... :D

Are there any small pinholes or chips in it ? Look it over real careful, give it a good cleaning with a good cleaner then put a coat of brasso on it, the brasso will turn tan when it dries and you can then see if there are any small holes when you wipe it off. Cleans your windshield good too, removes oxidation.. Then I coat it with a good coat of mothers or turtle wax.

Michaelarchangelo said:
Do you do that to just the outside, or the inside too?

Just the outside, I do it maybe 4x year or as needed, the brasso gets alot of the oxidation off and the car wax [non silicone only] puts fairly good coating on the windshield kinda like rainx.
If you do find a pinhole you maybe able to seal it with one of the windshield repair kits but pick a dry day when the windshield is hot and all the moisture is out of there or you may seal it in instead.
Ah well, back to the neverending cleaning of the workbenches..

Michaelarchangelo said:
Now that it is cooling off here, I noticed that my windsheild frosts up a lot in the morning. Wipers or the defroster do not seem to make much diffrence, so I was wondering if anyone had an idea of a better way to get it to clear up (rather than wait 10mins).
you could get a remote starter and let the jeep warm up before you go out

i always use a pitcher or two of cold to lukewarm water (depending on how cold it is) and it weakens the ice enough to where the wipers can clear it off....

hasn't failed me yet! :D

Back