• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire chains - one set...

manual states to use only on the rear. i think the fear is clipping the front brake lines due to small clearance between chains and brake hose. i've never used them just saying. everything i've heard is that to put them on the rear if only one set available but if at all possible use them on all 4 and drive intelligently

California:

Chains Required levels.
#1 Chains or 4X4 required on all vehicles
#2 Chains or 4X4 with snow tires (all four wheels)
#3 Chains required on ALL vehicles (2X4 and 4X4). Usually if these conditions exist (#3) the road is closed anyway.

For highway driving chains should go on drive (rear) wheels only.

I have 2 sets of chains for that "just in case" scenario. Like this with another 2000 feet to climb before the summit on a fairly steep frozen gravel road.

th_ROAD.jpg

I've always put them on the rear (unless fwd). No steer is bad, no stop is worse.
So, say I've got a pair of 'real' chains that came with the jeep and a pair of 'cable' chains from my last truck. Both will fit over the 235/75/15's if need be. I hope it doesn't come to it, but would you mix them if conditions got bad enough? Maybe cables up front (to clear brake lines) and 'real' chains out back? Never really thought about it til I ran across the cables in the garage the other day.

That'd work for extreme conditions, don't know about the legality on the highway, but off road it'd give you some extra pulling traction.

Back