• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunking while driving?????

LockdUpXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I get a lot of clunking when going down logging roads at Evans and even some clunking when going over small bumps on normal roads. Any Ideas of things I can check? I have tries to search the forums a bit but didnt find a whole lot. Any help would be appreciated.

bad lower control arm bushings? bad shock boots? Crappy rap music with blown speakers?

Well hopefully the clunking isnt the same as mine...but I noticed the same thing, checked it out, and found my shock just hanging there. My bolts desided to go MIA.

Now I have one F'ed up shock.

~Scott

Control arm bushings might be bad.

~Scott

Shocks are the first thing to check. Both ends. The last two times I've had a clunking noise it has been the shock mounts. For some unknown reason my passenger side front just totally ate the bushings every other time it went our. Today I found my driver side lower shock mount bolts completely gone. Next time heat and a big ratchet will be needed to break them loose since torque and lock washers apparently aren't enough. If you ae lucky it's the shocks. Everything else gets nasty a lot faster.

All of the bushings for the shocks are new. I replaced them when I replaced the shocks. So the control arm bushings: can I slide under there and try and shake them see if they move??? do I need to jack it up?

All of the bushings for the shocks are new. I replaced them when I replaced the shocks. So the control arm bushings: can I slide under there and try and shake them see if they move??? do I need to jack it up?

Everything should be checked.

Nothing should be checked by shaking while on a jack.

Some parts only move when there is serious pressure on them. that type of pressure can be replicated with a pry bar or some other mechanical means. If you are not experienced with this type of inspection you should either take the rig to a shop and pay for some diagnostic time or locate / make a friend of some one who is experienced and learn as you go. In my opinion having a pro look at it and compensating him for his time is a great way to go.

it may not be a susp prob mabe a battery tiedown or door hinge/latch mabe a lost tool in the frame,spring hitting the bump stop,sway bar mount.mag light under seat hitting seat tracks,beer bottle in the center console .....

Back