• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stumbling/stuck in first

jakecj7

NAXJA Forum User
To start with, yes I've searched and came up with alot of different possiblities and will start chasing them down, but it seems like I have a couple different issues.

Working with a 95, 4.0, AW4. A couple weeks ago it started out when driving it would suddenely loose power and then pick back up. i thought maybe water in the gas so I ran soem dry gas through it- no help. It only occurred once in a while, no matter what speed. Next I changed the fuel filter-no help, still occurred off and on. Slowly started to happen more often and for longer periods. Then last week we went to get a christmas tree and on the way back it stumbled and loss power,slowed down but it wouldn't come back up like it would before. It seemed to be stuck in first. I could stop start moving again and my rpm's would juct keep climbing, wouldn't shift. It semmed to be running ok, just wouldn't shift.

Searching based on the symptons I came up with that it might be the coil, oxygen sensor or TPS. Any other ideas or advice?

Do you currently (or recently) have a check engine light on? If so, you gotta pull the codes.

If no codes, then I think scottmcneal and 89xj are on the right track with testing your TPS and your fuel pressure.

Test your way to a solution; don't throw parts at it. Good Luck and post back what you find!

I don't have a code reader and the parts place said they could only read 96 and newer.

you retrieve the codes on your year through the dash(i believe the odometer). do a search or start a new thread on how to retreive codes on your year. i dont know how as my 89 does not have the feature that the 91-95 have.

Not sure of the accuracy of this info but you could try this...

-------------------------------------------------------------

On 1991 to1997 models, there is a way of reading for fault codes which can be accessed without any scanners by reading how the check engine light flashes.

Start by turning the ignition key to the last stop before it starts, on and off three times within 5 seconds ending in the on position on the third time, ( i.e. on, off, on, off, then on and leave ). The check engine light will start to flash quickly with a small pause in between then a medium pause to indicate the next number in the two digit number and then a long pause before the next set of flashing for the next code. If all is well you will get a code 55 which would read like this: 5 fast flashes, medium pause then a further 5 flashes. The end code is 55.

Back