• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

removing crank bolt

IRPancake

NAXJA Forum User
how do you do it? I tried putting lots of pressure on the belt and a bunch of thick string like 10x attached to the sway bar to hold it in place and the string ripped. I'm pretty sure I can turn it (so don't say "impact wrench") once its held, but I dont want to start the car with a screwdriver or something wedged anywhere, I dont care how much I hate this car I dont want to do that. How else do you do it?

ok...I wedge the breaker bar against the steering box and cranked it, came right off. I'd like to leave this thread for future 'tards like myself :p

*disclaimer* you are on your own if you can't do this SAFELY.

take a long breaker bar on the crank bolt, wedge the bar against a frame rail or FIRM ground(the crank turns CLOCKWISE when running), making sure that it is AWAY FROM ALL MOVING PARTS. disconnect the coil-you DO NOT want the jeep to start like this. hit the starter quickly with the key from inside. the torque should be more than sufficient to loosen the bolt. this has worked for me on many vehicles, including the 4.0.
BE SAFE, if in doubt-don't do it, find an impact wrench.

edit: too late, you got it....

I keep an old spark plug with the electrode and ceramic removed (broken out with a screw driver) and a short piece of wooden dowel dipped in epoxy hammered in there.
The spark plug and dowel then become a piston stop, something you can leave in your toolbox and use again. Or buy for a few bucks at the auto parts store.

I didn't pull the coil, and it accidently started. But it just kept loosening the bolt and fell out. If it were tightening I would think it would be more important, but better safe than sorry. Right now I'm trying to get the new balancer on, but it keeps turning the engine instead of pushing the balancer on more. only about 1/3" more.

I keep an old spark plug with the electrode and ceramic removed (broken out with a screw driver) and a short piece of wooden dowel dipped in epoxy hammered in there.
The spark plug and dowel then become a piston stop, something you can leave in your toolbox and use again. Or buy for a few bucks at the auto parts store.

thats pretty clever :wave:

I didn't pull the coil, and it accidently started. But it just kept loosening the bolt and fell out. If it were tightening I would think it would be more important, but better safe than sorry. Right now I'm trying to get the new balancer on, but it keeps turning the engine instead of pushing the balancer on more. only about 1/3" more.
A piston stop works both directions and can be used to tighten and get the proper torque also. A piston stop can also be used to tighten the flex plate (tone ring) bolts and to double check the zero on your timing. Not a tool you need often, but nice to have around when you do need it.
In a pinch, you can stick a wooden wedge or even a screw driver into the starter (tone) ring teeth.

We use this method on all the subies, works great most of the time. Our mechanic forgot to unplug the coil, the crank bolt unthreaded and rammed the breaker in to the cooling fans and ultimately the rad.haha only happened once.

What about a heavy duty air ratchet? I know you can't fit an impact in there but an air ratchet should be able to.

How did you get the pully on? Did you use the stock bolt or a longer one to start it?

Been hearing that if you use the stock bolt it may strip out because so few threads are engaged with so much torque on them...

I got the stock bolt in just fine, I read somewhere about the stock one messing up but no problem there. I can't torque it down because it turns it over again. How do you get to the starter teeth?

edit: and manually cranking the engine some didn't mess up timing by any chance, did it?

What about a heavy duty air ratchet? I know you can't fit an impact in there but an air ratchet should be able to.

How did you get the pully on? Did you use the stock bolt or a longer one to start it?

Been hearing that if you use the stock bolt it may strip out because so few threads are engaged with so much torque on them...

i've never heard of an air ratchet that generates THAT much torque... but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist...

everythings buttoned all up, no more rediculous squeaking :), more than half the rubber was missing off the front of the balancer and there was a bit sticking out the back... and timing doesn't seem to be messed up, althought without the sounds it seems to be less powerful, maybe something is a little off, but I'll search unless you guys have any insight.

The bolt isn't tightened down yet (as much as I could til it started spinning), but thats another nights job (the jeep doesn't get driven that much) but I figure it should be fine, its spinning the way its tightened and I dont see how the balancer would work its way off anyways, it took alot of effort to get it on.

Thanks for all the help guys, its much appreciated.

Old timers trick..

Feed a length of rope through a spark plug hole. Make sure to leave some hanging out so you can remove it!!! It will block the piston. When done, turn the engine the other way and pull out the rope.

Old timers trick..

Feed a length of rope through a spark plug hole. Make sure to leave some hanging out so you can remove it!!! It will block the piston. When done, turn the engine the other way and pull out the rope.

Although unlikely, I don't like the idea that the rope COULD fracture and some could be left behind...

Then you'd have to pull the head.

But do what you want :)

Strap wrench -- ~$20 for a pair if you don't already have one and you will find a lot of other uses for them.

Back