• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

overheating ?

impetus-93xj

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys.

I got in my 93 xj this morning, after scraping off the snow and started on my way to work when 10 mins down the road i noticed that the temperature was going into the red. I looked under the hood and the top rad hose was like a balloon. I also had no heat in the cab. I'm thinking thermostat.... ?
don't know what other details I can give ... nothing else was different than usual. thanks for the help
Oh ya ... I never have any luck with the search thing so please be patient with me.

Definitely sounds like you've got a restriction somewhere. First thing I'd check is to see if you have strong enough mixture of antifreeze in there. We've been having some pretty cold weather for a few days now so it could have frozen. I just had to thaw out my buddy's S-10 for him cause his froze. He got lucky though, a jug and a half of antifreeze and he was fine. Didn't blow anything.

If your antifreeze is ok, thermostat would be the next thing.

Last edited:
I don't have the tool to check the ratio of the antifreeze but it's a good green so I assume It's ok

I worked at a radiator shop for almost 4 years and I saw what looked like good green antifreeze with zero freeze protection in a surprising amount of vehicles. Not saying that this is definitely whats wrong with your ride but for the price of the hydrometer and the potential for significant damage with freezing your cooling system, I'd check it out. If you go to a decent shop they should check it for free.

well I've had a space heater going under the truck in the garage for a few hours now and then started the truck and let it run. The temperature went up to just shy of the red so I was going to shut it down when all of a sudden the temperature went down to normal and my heater started to push heat again. what the heck ?

This really sounds like a stuck thermostat that finally opened up. If it were mine, I would definitely swap it out. If it is flaky, it will happen again. I have by far had the best luck with thermostats purchased directly from Jeep (195 degrees).

Either the thermo is stuck or there is a buble in your system, i know when i had a bubble it went to red real quick then when the bubble passed it rapidly went back to 200-210

It REALLY sounds like it was all froze up. Check the antifreeze with a meter and don't let it freeze up again. Keep it heated util you KNOW that it's good. Maybe you were lucky this time and didn't screw anything up.

I guess I'll swap the thermostat and refill with proper coolant just to be safe. thanks guys

Back