• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wheel spacer question

yikes

NAXJA Forum User
Are Trailsport spacers the style for use on a daily driver ? I heard that some are hub centric and some are not - most say to use Spider Trax brand - but, why ?

Yikes

i had spidertrax on for awhile they look pretty good but you must keep them tight...check them once a month they get loose and make a bad clunking noise...also if you buy them make sure to get a bottle of loc-tite because the amount they give u is the size of a salt packet at mickeyds.... i ended up getting just a wider rim instead so i have one of the pairs left over from when i took them off..pm me if ud like it so i dont break the rules and sell to u in the mod. tech. section...
ps i had them on for about three weeks...there pretty much brand spankin new but i sold a pair to my buddy

-andrew

Inquiring minds want to know; what is your goal here? we cannot help you if you don't tell us! I can custom manufacture these, have had a lot of calls wanting to put 8lug hummer wheels on 5x4.5 axles. Yep, we can do that too.

One of the local guys has been running Jeep Moab wheels with a set of 1.25" spacer behind them for several years now, and never had a problem. He's got 35" creepy crawlers wrapped around them and does at least two good runs a month, on top of driving to/from the trail (moab, the rubicon, etc). They should be ok if you check them for tightness from time to time, and torque them right.

just trying to get my 31's out a little further. not changing lug patterns or anything. I heard that some are better for daily drivers than other brands.

yikes

rocklandxjer said:
how much they cost... id buy a set of really backspaced wheels if you want a wider stance. much more reliable. say... 2"backspacing that would be pretty far out there

Some people really like the look of factory wheels.

Where'd you come up with 2" backspacing?????:huh:

CherokeeXJ1996 said:
I like my 15x7 factory wheels with bfg 31x10.5x15. I didn't have any problem with them.

didn't say i have a problem (other than a little rubbing on the inner fender at FULL stuff) just want a little wider stance, like 1" on each side.

dave

yea, id go with rims, itd be cheaper and more reliable off road

*note- i am not saying wheel spacers arent durable off road (even thought that is what i think :) , just that rims would be cheaper, easier to maintain, and just as, or more reliable

rocklandxjer said:
yea, id go with rims, itd be cheaper and more reliable off road

*note- i am not saying wheel spacers arent durable off road (even thought that is what i think :) , just that rims would be cheaper, easier to maintain, and just as, or more reliable
I went with the spacers because they were much cheaper than buying new wheels. I do like my stock 16x7's, and don't want to replace nice looking wheels with steelies. So far, I only need the spacers, 1.25 inch, up front running 265/75/16s. Rear seems to clear ok so far. I've got another set in the garage for when I need them. I'd like to replace the wheels, but I'm looking at $110/wheel versus $40 and $60 for each end spacers.
If you've got the money, do the wheels. If not, the spacers are a fair compromise. Do use locktite.:cheers:

Ran them for over 4 years on a daily driver with various Jeep wheels, most recent are 16x8 Rubi wheels with 285's.....never used locktite on them and I've also never had them loosen up on me......GOT TORQUE WRENCH? 95 lb/ft has worked just fine.

Folks that are afraid of them because they had them come loose should perhaps identify the cause?

ChuckstrPT said:
I went with the spacers because they were much cheaper than buying new wheels. I do like my stock 16x7's, and don't want to replace nice looking wheels with steelies. So far, I only need the spacers, 1.25 inch, up front running 265/75/16s. Rear seems to clear ok so far. I've got another set in the garage for when I need them. I'd like to replace the wheels, but I'm looking at $110/wheel versus $40 and $60 for each end spacers.
If you've got the money, do the wheels. If not, the spacers are a fair compromise. Do use locktite.:cheers:

so you got the "those look HAWT!!" wheels instead of the "my tires'll fit on these" ones...

black steelies are fine and only cost 35-40 a wheel. and you dont need to keep re-torquing them...

if you got spacers for 40 bucks though i guess thats a decent deal. i wouldnt trust em... i hope they hold up fer you though :)

rocklandxjer said:
so you got the "those look HAWT!!" wheels instead of the "my tires'll fit on these" ones...
The wheels came with the truck. If I'd have bought wheels, I'd have gotten the correct backspacing. The idea is to not spend money on wheels until all the other necessities are taken care of, armor, lift, gears/locker etc.:sunshine:

Back