• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

King of all oil leaks!

afjeep2082

NAXJA Forum User
Well here we go, 1993 Jeep Cherokee Sport I6 Auto tranny. A few years back I had to replace the motor, it was my first time really wrenchng and my buddy helping was only helping part of the time, so I am blaming myself for this issue.

The new engine is a remanufactured long block I6, I was stationed in North Dakota at the time in the Air Force and the engines real first "break-in" was a drive from North Dakota to Oregon. Ever since that drive I have had a pretty severe oil leak that seems very hard to pin-point. It soaks the drivers side of the engine (top and bottom) with oil and eventually it builds up and at highway speeds blows up on the windshield. and it drips everywhere front and back of engine area. The passenger side stays pretty dry on the top end I assume the bottom is only oily due to the oil blowing arround.

What I ahve done, I pressure washed the engine bay and let it sit and run after for signs of leaks. I have yet to see anything accumulate while parked and it isnt uhtill I drive at highways speeds (55+) it really shows it's ugly face again and by then it's too late and soaked the engine making it impossable to pin-point. I tryed resealing the valve cover and I hade the same results after so I assume it isnt the valve cover. I cant imagine the oil pan or even the front main for that matter making it to the top of the motor. Another thing I did from reading these forums was resealing the oil filter adapter..same thing as the valve cover nothing changed.

I am pretty stumped as to where to look anymore and suggestions or ideas would be awsome. As it sits the jeep has another major issue with, I think, the ECU but 1 thing at a time here. It hasn't been ran regularly for about 2 years now I have let it sit and run for a while atleast once per month but now it doesnt want to idle and just dies, perhaps bad or out of gas.

thanks again for any help

well, thoroughly clean everything, then pop the hood and let it idle until you find the leak..

I would like to do that, any suggestions on where to keep an eye out? other then the obvious valve cover, oil pan or front main? I am pretty sure it's non of those 3 due to the nature of the leak and attempts at fixes I have already tryed

Check the oil pressure sensor. And for that matter, the distributor.

those are on the passenger side, but yes, the pressure sensor will SPEW oil if loose, or, in my case forgotten when I started the engine. Four quarts of synthetic on the driveway.

I would look at the valve cover. I replaced my gasket and a couple days later found MOST of the bolts loose. it might take the higher pressure of high RPMs to get it leaking.

might be power steering fluid
id take a look at the high pressure power steering hose
they like to leak after being bent out of the way during teardowns

are the front and rear lines coming out of the valve cover connected to intake and manifold vacuum? One way to get engine oil leakage like that is plugging up the CCV system.

Last edited:
might be power steering fluid
id take a look at the high pressure power steering hose
they like to leak after being bent out of the way during teardowns

are the front and rear lines coming out of the valve cover connected to intake and manifold vacuum. One way to get engine oil leakage like that is plugging up the CCV system.

X2

Hey no havent fixed it yet due to no time with the holidays and horrable blizzard like weather (and no garage :-( ) I will keep you informed when I get to looking at it

I vote clogged cvc system they leak pretty bad when clogged.

If you used a cork gasket when you did your valve cover you have to go back and retorque them becuase they won't hold the initial torqueing well once they compress a lil.

Back