• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

boned

slapshot

NAXJA Forum User
hey all

got in a collison the other day :( my jeep is pretty hurt. i'm wondering for insurance what the cost of repair would be .

i havent taken a really good look at it yet, but basically i got hit in my front right wheel, the toe is waaaayy off which leads me to believe the knuckle is bent, also it looks like my tie rod/ drag link/ etc is bent. the weel is sitting back in the well also, which makes me think my control arms might be f'd. with all this going on i'm guessing my axle internal on that side is also probably f'd.

anywhoo. just wondering if anyone has any experience with this/ knows approx the cost of getting new parts as listed above.

thx

hey all

got in a collison the other day :( my jeep is pretty hurt. i'm wondering for insurance what the cost of repair would be .

i havent taken a really good look at it yet, but basically i got hit in my front right wheel, the toe is waaaayy off which leads me to believe the knuckle is bent, also it looks like my tie rod/ drag link/ etc is bent. the weel is sitting back in the well also, which makes me think my control arms might be f'd. with all this going on i'm guessing my axle internal on that side is also probably f'd.

anywhoo. just wondering if anyone has any experience with this/ knows approx the cost of getting new parts as listed above.

thx

Sounds like it sucks, but you must be a cynic... I would first conclude that your track bar and your tie rod are tweaked, possible the drag link too. Unless there are some horrible grinding sounds/knocks coming from the axle, don't assume the shaft or u-joint is broken.

Do you mean the wheel is pushed INTO the wheel well, or towards the rear of the jeep? Backwards= control arms, into= track bar (or a seriously effed up wheel, haha).

Just go take a quick look at the components, note what you see... should be simple enough.

If you are lucky, you may only need to swap in an axle assembly. If not, then you may have to get your frame straightened and reinforced and then swap in the assembly. It does not take very much force to bend and fold the unibody. It was designed to bend and fold in an attempt to help protect the driver/passengers in a collision. Look at your front crossmember for any separation and at the frame rails it attaches to. My collision took out my header panel and radiator but the real expense was in cutting off one of my rails and welding in a salvaged section plus new crossmember. I had to farm that portion of the rebuild out costing me nearly a grand. And my axle had no damage to it. My point to your question is that the most obvious damage you can see may only be part of the whole damage picture. And when you are dealing with the front end, true square and alignment are critical. Good luck.

my.php

this is the best pic i took i think. i didnt get a good one of the steering, it was -40 C with the wind chill this day

URL%5D

my.php

Last edited:
looks like your control arm and the axle mount is bent. Time for some upgrades!!!

Know any good welders? The driver's LCA mount was bent and I had a friend cut it off, straighte, and then weld it back on. Been working fine since.

Also my stock draglink was bent in a U.

Looks like a similar situation to what I had, except my control arms didn't bend because they were aftermarket adjustables. Beefy compared to the flimsy factory arms.

Back