• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Has anyone done this Snorkel Mod?

Boulder_jeeps

NAXJA Forum User
http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JJcustomSnorkle/CustomSnorkle.htm
Dscf0024_sm.jpg

I started it but I only found an 18 inch hose, so Im looking for the 24 incher

I beleive Go-jeep has done that

I have. Here's my pics. JIM.
HPIM0188.jpg

HPIM0187.jpg

What do you mean by heat intake? I never did it,but on my 97 I believe there was plenty of room. JIM.

cherokee steve said:
Here's my version, it's on a '99.....
NewJeepEngine008.jpg

NewJeepEngine007.jpg

NewJeepEngine006.jpg

Cost me all of $25 from the local hardware. 3" sched 30 PVC plumbing pipe. Been on 2 years with no problems.
What is the red thing, and where did you find it. The red gasket maker is all dried up, and cracked on mine now.

ILLXJ said:
What do you mean by heat intake? I never did it,but on my 97 I believe there was plenty of room. JIM.

Yeah I don't know what I was talking about either, for some reason I thought there was something in the way of it...it was late thats really my only excuse. Anyways I like the pvc setup but I was wondering if you guys did anything with the vents or if you just used the ones that are there.

Anyone with this set up have any issues with snow building up and blocking the airflow? Probably not an issue but currious anyways.

Also has anyone noticed an increase or decrease in power/MPG? Reason I ask that is I noticed a significant increase in MPG when I installed my airflow snorkle thought it would be similar...

T&A-XJ said:
Anyone with this set up have any issues with snow building up and blocking the airflow? Probably not an issue but currious anyways.

Also has anyone noticed an increase or decrease in power/MPG? Reason I ask that is I noticed a significant increase in MPG when I installed my airflow snorkle thought it would be similar...
No problems with rain or snow. Might have been a slight increase in power/MPG, but I don't really know. I did a gear change within a week. JIM.

Man....that is pretty ingenious. I went all wacky with the PVC pipe and ran it to my roof. Now I get all kinds of looks from people when I drive it around town....but hell I can wade a river if I wanted to. HAHA.

I was also curious about the snow build up. My xj is my dd winter vehicle and pt off roader. Sometimes theres a couple inches of snow covering the vents in the winter and I use a remote starter will it run ok for the 15 min. before I go and clear it off. WHat happens to the water that gets in there?

GreenGoblin said:
I was also curious about the snow build up. My xj is my dd winter vehicle and pt off roader. Sometimes theres a couple inches of snow covering the vents in the winter and I use a remote starter will it run ok for the 15 min. before I go and clear it off. WHat happens to the water that gets in there?

Small amounts of water like rain or melting snow will run through...

There is a drain for that type drainage and small amounts of water.

However if you submerge your wipers.. They call that HydroLock.

Last edited:
GreenGoblin said:
The cowl area has its own drains that empty out between the inner and outer guard. Just as well becuase otherwise every time you washed your Jeep or drove in the rain, it would fill up and flood your floor as it is there for the heater vent intake as well.
You would be fine to use a remote start as you say.

If you've got snow on your windshield, you scrape it off, right? just scrape it off at the same time.

Just an update, this mod. saved my bacon two Sundays ago.
mounds10-06001.jpg
Where it's clean up front and on the front doors is up to where it was under water. I just have to fix/replace the MAP sensor, and I'm good to go (I hope).

Back