• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Door Locks, Front End Thunks, and Floor Board Thunk

Pleiner87

NAXJA Forum User
Hello, These problems are on my 1992 XJ, 4.0L HO, AW-4, NP231, 4-Door, Sport, Stock height.

1.) Starting with the drivers door, it unlocks without any problem, but when i try to lock it from the outside with the key is when the problem occurs, if i turn it to the locking side it will not lock, but if it turn it to the unlock side then to the lock side... it locks. also from the inside if the door is locked and you try to unlock from inside the lock feels "weak and loose" and has no locking "click" feel. A few years back i replaced the interior handle after the spring in the handle broke, when replaced I used white lithium grease to lube the locking, opening, and window track and every thing worked smoothly. Recently the problem has started with the lock.

2.) The Front end has the typical clunks from the worn ball joints, but I also get one from the usally turing left, the drivers side u-joint is "newer" and is in good shape..., I looked at the steering box and the bolts holding it on are tight...

3.) And finally (may be tied with #2?) when making a left turn theres a thunk on the drivers side floor board around my feet mid way through the turn. The trans mount is in decent shape along with the motor mounts.

-Well those are my "major problems" now, i've had #2&3 for a couple years and I have alittle more free time to mess with those problems, so any ideas on what I shoud be looking for on those? I've tried to add as much detail as I could think of.
--Thanks alot, Todd

2 and 3 could be a worn trackbar TRE or worn control arm bushings..

for #1, i would take the door panel off and see if there is any binding of the linkage for the locks and lube everything. the lock/key cylinder may also be going bad. i had to replace the key cylinder on my 89 twice. i dont have automatic locks so i have to use a key evrytime i lock/unlock the driverside door an over 19 years, the cylinders just wear out.

Back