• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP! MAY NEED CHAINS

1998xj1985

NAXJA Forum User
Hey all,

there's an R3 requirement right now and I'm headed up to the bear Friday night. Anyone have some chains they'd be willing to loan out for a couple days in case it's still R3 by friday??? tires: 33x12.5xr15

Thanks

that's my point.. i'd rather not buy 140$ worth of something i most likely won't use in the next decade. besides, if your truck can bull or dishpan in the snow without chains, i see little need for them on the road...:dunno:

that's my point.. i'd rather not buy 140$ worth of something i most likely won't use in the next decade. besides, if your truck can bull or dishpan in the snow without chains, i see little need for them on the road...:dunno:

I would love to see you run either one right about now. :banghead:

i would too, i think it would be a blast. that's why i'm trying to get some friends together for a possible new year's trip. anyway, topic at hand:

may need some chains for 33 12.5 15's, don't want to buy them cause they're expensive and will not be used again for a long time, if ever again, and would appreciate it if someone had a set i could borrow for the weekend.

Well I'm one of those people who would rather have them if I need them. Running a snowy trail is nothing like a icy road.

I have hit the snow chains requirement in big bear every year since I bought my XJ.

I think I paid $95 for chains at 4 wheel parts, that fit 35x12.5's.

Last time I went up to Big Bear they had a "4 wheel drives need to have chains in the vehicle" status, but not required to have them on. dunno what level that is. The guy CHP asked if I had any, I said no, so they turned me around.

So I drove back down the mountain and found a kragen. They were like 75 dollars for my 32s (at the time). I told the parts counter guy I just needed to show them to the CHP. He said if I wanted to bring em back in the box new when I headed home, they would give me my money back.

Drove back up the mountain, they asked if I had chains, I said "Yes, I do now" and then they let me through. I thought they would ask me to show em, but they didn't care. DAMNT! Why didn't I lie? HA. Hour+ detour later I got into big bear.

On my way home I got my money back.

Walmart is like 70$ or 90 depending. Costco is about that also but warranty for ever.

Craigslist is about 40-50 typically and alot there right now.

I have some that fit a 275-65-18 part number 1707 from costco your welcome to borrow but MUST have back by the 26th.

I would love to see you run either one right about now. :banghead:

I've done them both with heavy snow, but if you have mud terrains, forget it. Discos and Wranglers with lockers and M/T's were sliding all over the place and getting winched up, while the guys on A/T's were able to scramble past the slippery spots.

I've done them both with heavy snow, but if you have mud terrains, forget it. Discos and Wranglers with lockers and M/T's were sliding all over the place and getting winched up, while the guys on A/T's were able to scramble past the slippery spots.

blizzaks FTW :D had a set on my dakota when i was living in ohio. they are excellent snow tires, and you can even get em with studs in em

Jim, just get a cheap set of chains and throw em in the back. they wont make you put em on as long as you are driving a 4x4.

blizzaks FTW :D had a set on my dakota when i was living in ohio. they are excellent snow tires, and you can even get em with studs in em

Jim, just get a cheap set of chains and throw em in the back. they wont make you put em on as long as you are driving a 4x4.

330 and 38 both have R3 restrictions right now - all autos/trucks have chains 4x4 included = (

Ive lived up in the Running Springs / Lake Arrowhead area for 8+ years. Ive NEVER put chains on any of our 4wd vehicles.

If the CHP asks you if you have chains just say yes. Theyre not gonna want to see them.

This is a real conversation with a CHP officer and my Dad one year:

CHP Officer - Is this truck 4WD?
Dad- Yes Sir.
CHP - Are you carrying any chains on you tonight?
Dad - No sir.
CHP - Im gonna ask you again sir, are you carrying any chains on you tonight?
Dad - Oh Yes sir, theyre in the back.
CHP - All right then have a safe trip Sir.

Chains are overrated.

So that this thread can get back on track...

Looking to see whether or not someone local has chains I can borrow for tires size 33x12.5R15 - robert, yours are too small, no?

I understand that chains are overrated, and that most times cops don't care. I can assure everyone here though, if the restrictions stay as they are right now, you will not be driving up that mountain without chains ON your vehicle.

This is what the DOT has to say about it and is confirmed by a roommate from BB:

SR 330
[IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA]
CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES, NO EXCEPTIONS, FROM 4 MI EAST OF THE
JCT OF SR 30 TO THE JCT OF SR 18 /IN RUNNING SPRINGS/ (SAN BERNARDINO CO)
SR 38
CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES, NO EXCEPTIONS, FROM 3 MI WEST OF THE
MILL CREEK RANGER STATION TO ONYX SUMMIT (SAN BERNARDINO CO)

Whether or not the trip can be made without them is a moot point as this is what they are enforcing. All i'm looking for is a set of chains that will fit my tires that I could borrow for the weekend.

Buy some and return them? You likely won't need to use them.

Buy some and return them? You likely won't need to use them.

Current as of 4 minutes ago:

SR 18
IS CLOSED FROM THE BIG BEAR DAM TO 1.4 MI EAST OF THE BIG BEAR DAM
(SAN BERNARDINO CO) - DUE TO A DISABLED BIG RIG - A DETOUR IS AVAILABLE

CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES EXCEPT 4-WHEEL-DRIVE VEHICLES WITH SNOW
TIRES ON ALL 4 WHEELS FROM THE JCT OF SR 189 TO THE SAN BERNARDINO NATL FOREST
(SAN BERNARDINO CO)

SR 38 [IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA] CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES, NO EXCEPTIONS, FROM 3 MI WEST OF THEMILL CREEK RANGER STATION TO ONYX SUMMIT (SAN BERNARDINO CO)SR 330 [IN THE SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA AREA] CHAINS ARE REQUIRED ON ALL VEHICLES, NO EXCEPTIONS, FROM 4 MI EAST OF THE JCT OF SR 30 TO THE JCT OF SR 18 /IN RUNNING SPRINGS/ (SAN BERNARDINO CO)
I think he'll need them. http://www.bigbearroads.com/

Back