• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Heater Issues

Schnoz

NAXJA Forum User
To start with I did search quite a bit...

My blower motor went out in my 1995 cherokee yesterday so I went and replaced it today.This is where my new trouble starts. now it will only work on Low, I have read where it would be the resistor if it only worked on high but this isn't the case I don't think. I figured it had to be something like a vacuum line or the heater control unit itself.

I took apart my dash and started looking in there didn't see anything unusual. went to disconnect the wires on the right hand side when the damn male end brakes off the unit and stays with the wires on the side.

While I was searching I found numerous posts saying that they actually had 4 levels of heat but mine only has 3 (low,Fan(never has worked) and High) Can I switch a newer models heater control unit into mine?

pictures for explanation: my heater a/c unit

acunit.jpg

where the male end stuck to the wires on the right hand side.
connector.jpg

i had a similar issue when i first bought mine a while back...follow your wires for the switch in the second picture. there is a gray connector for all the wires back there that mights have fried. dont know what happened, but mine was melted and burned through a couple of wires. i just cut the connector and wired them straight across..no more problems and have all speeds..

oh, btw...the only vacuum lines for the heater are for the top slider...the bottom slider works on a cable, and the switch your havin your issue with is run by power....another idea....take out a volt meter and measure if your gettin power to the switch...if not, just follow the wires and find out when you do have power and go from there...

yea I realized those were the only vacuum lines when I went back out to take the pics but I didnt catch it all when I checked my post. do you think a newer unit will work in there? I would rather have 4 heat settings anyways.

I figured I would have to rewire it after looking at the plug I was mentioning it is melted on the end that you can see. when I tried pulling it out after I snapped it off it just broke into more pieces

i think you should already have four settings (they just arent working right now)...mines an 87 and it has four settings. just make the connections all good and im guessin you wont need a new switch or anything.

your 2nd and 3rd settings are just by feel in between the low and high. when you move the switch from low towards high you should feel it catch on the other two settings in between. its wont catch very hard, but you should be able to feel when it hits the contact. in your second pic on the switch there are 4 lil metal spots...those are the four contacts for the different speeds. if you dont have power to all four contacts, you wont get all four speeds you will just have the speeds that have power going to them. the metal contacts can also get worn down over time too and that can do it as well.

in your top pic, the two dots between low and high are also settings for the fan blower.......you have 4 settings not just 2

thanks guys, I had never noticed those little dots.

so out of curiosity could i switch the unit out with a newer one or would it be more hassle than its worth?

Back