• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I hate our state sometimes...

IslanderOffRoad

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
Its almost impossible to dispose of used coolant, unless you're willing to wait a month for a hazardous waste collection. I guess they don't want us doing our own maintenance on our vehicles.

Got some kid at Jiffy Lube who said they'd take it over the phone, went there, different story. I stood my ground since I drove there based on them saying they'd take it, and got them to, but what a hassle.

That's not our state man, that's everybody. That is one of my pet peeves; I've got eight gallons of coolant I refuse to dump in an inappropriate mannor that I need to dispose of; haven't gotten around to going to shops yet.

I've got a radiator shop (AutoLand - don't know if they have a branch down there...) that's taken my coolant for a number of years without any hassle. Since they get a truck that comes around and recycles it on-site (filter solids out, repack additives, remove minerals and dissolved metals,) they just love it, because that's that much less coolant they end up having to pay for...

5-90

LA County doesn't have a hazardous waste collection point?

karstic said:
LA County doesn't have a hazardous waste collection point?

I'm in Ventura Co, they do but its by appointment only, and only on the 3rd Saturday of every month.... and Sept. is booked

I just had this problem 2 weeks ago when I flushed my system TWICE. Pep Boys had taken my coolant a couple of times but they are inconsistent. VatoZone wont take it. called Jiffy Lubers and they wouldnt take it. The drain down the street would but you know how Mother Nature is about that.

My neighbor's dog really loves it...

jk

backpack96 said:
I'll agree that it is a pretty bad system...this is what i did not too long ago.

http://www.lacsd.org/hhw/hhwflier.htm

I just waited for them to come to my area. this is the only clean up program i know of though.

What I'm finding very funny is how particular each city/county is that ONLY their residents can take stuff to their haz waste collections...

Like I said I talked Jiffy Lube into it so I'm ok for this time, next time I'll plan it around collection time.

I just pour it down the toilet drain. It gets treated at the waste plant, so it should be okay in small quantities. At least that's what I was told.

Kyung

corbinafly said:
I just pour it down the toilet drain. It gets treated at the waste plant, so it should be okay in small quantities. At least that's what I was told.

Kyung

Actually, you could use pretty much any drain in the house - they all go to the same sewer line...

Generally, it's not more than one gallon per day - I'd probably go with a half-gallon just to be sure.

I just happen to take it all to the radiator shop because I know it will get reused there. Now, if I could just fine re-refined oil...

5-90

5-90 said:
Actually, you could use pretty much any drain in the house - they all go to the same sewer line...
5-90
The toilet is the biggest target. That's why I use that instead of the sink. Much less chance of missing and making a mess. And I know how the drains are hooked up. I'm a general building contractor.:laugh3:

Kyung

Back