• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front bumper is sitting off-canter about 1.5" to the driver's side.

Hubbazoot

NAXJA Forum User
I went outside, stared at it for a good long while...and then I noticed something: My bumper is off-canter about 1.5" to the passenger's side from the rest of the vehicle. My front bumper is an aftermarket stainless steel bumper, way stronger than just about anything. The only possible conclusion I can derive from this is that my frame is bent.

I was just about ready to do a bunch of upgrades, and it isn't in my budget to go get a new one and redo the entire thing to where I have it now.
brickwall.gif

As of right now, I'm about ready to call it quits. I'll keep the engine well-maintained and everything else to be able to drive it regularly, but I think that's about it. I'm in a don't-do-anything-new-to-it-and-drive-it-into-the-ground kind of mood. Anyone have any words of encouragement, advice, suggestions, etc?

Did you install the bumper? If not, have you crawled under there to see it the bumper mounts are still straight?
"way stronger than just about anything" is kinda relative. It may be super strong vertically and longitudinally, but it may not be so laterally. A good impact to the end cap could have pushed the whole thing to one side. I'd bet it's prolly salvageable.

it looks like just tha one side is longer...plate and dring mounts look centerd on jeep logo, just using the calibrated eye, maybe its a manufacturing oopsie?

Suggestions to fix it?

Edit: I honestly didn't see it, even after I hit it. I stopped off in a parking spot and then looked back, trying to figure out what I hit. THEN I saw it.

Edit: There's 3 bolts holding that puppy in place, that strong enough for a recovery?

Last edited:
Edit: There's 3 bolts holding that puppy in place, that strong enough for a recovery?

No. Add more tie ins, and then it will be stronger/safer to recover with.

I was going to say the most obvious thing, you hit/got hit by something, and then bent the bumper.

yeah, looking at how everything in the nose lines up and the bumper and such i'd say the bumper is just in a good bit on the right side and not actually off center. going back and in on only one side will make it look like its swayed, or off-center. Look at how your tow tabs on the bumper line up with the grille slots, and the license plate as well, they're all centered. looks like that impact the bumper took to the right corner bent your brackets up, possibly slight damage to the mounting area of the "rails" as well.

Step one: Tie off jeep to tree with chains.
Step two: tie pass side of bumper to a friend's lots -o- horsepower V8 fullsize.
Step three: Tell said friend to put it in 4 low and start pulling.

Pull till straight, put in oven for 45 minuites at 450*F, bake untill golden brown.

No. Add more tie ins, and then it will be stronger/safer to recover with.

I was going to say the most obvious thing, you hit/got hit by something, and then bent the bumper.
How?
yeah, looking at how everything in the nose lines up and the bumper and such i'd say the bumper is just in a good bit on the right side and not actually off center. going back and in on only one side will make it look like its swayed, or off-center. Look at how your tow tabs on the bumper line up with the grille slots, and the license plate as well, they're all centered. looks like that impact the bumper took to the right corner bent your brackets up, possibly slight damage to the mounting area of the "rails" as well.
How hard to fix? And how do I check?
Step one: Tie off jeep to tree with chains.
Step two: tie pass side of bumper to a friend's lots -o- horsepower V8 fullsize.
Step three: Tell said friend to put it in 4 low and start pulling.

Pull till straight, put in oven for 45 minuites at 450*F, bake untill golden brown.
Steps 1-3 a legitimate suggestion?

I want to fix this the right way, assuming that is a fairly affordable option.

Look at stock tow hook brackets next time your at the junk yard. They tie into the frame at multiple points. They also go halfway down the inner fender well.

The bumper itself looks centered. Looking at the front end, using body gaps as a gauge, it looks like your driver side fender is pushed in. The gap on the drivers side is WAY less than it should be. Your fender is probably just smashed in. Your trim and marker light are also broken. I would just say you need a new fender.

If you indeed find out that the bumper brackets or where the bumper mounts are is bent, you can try it. I'm not saying that your going to fix it the right way, but how did it get that way in the first place? It got forced. Try it a little at a time. Sheet metal does not like to be overstressed. it will crack and tear. Pull a little, let it go. Pull a little more, let it go. Probably a half inch at a time. Its the same way body shops repair bent frame rails. Just in a little more crude and redneck fashion. Also make sure you secure your jeep very well. I've had friends that got t boned in the side of the bed of their trucks, or slid into something on the side of the bed. we basically just tied the truck off to a tree or two and hooked up where it needed to be bent out to a chain, and pulled. Checked it with a level and square as we went. Am I saying its the right way to do it, no. But I would probably do it. If you do, make sure your chains and attachment points are VERY solid, Chains break with a hell of a lot of force. You might as well throw something over the chains like a jacket like they do with winch cables.

Look at stock tow hook brackets next time your at the junk yard. They tie into the frame at multiple points. They also go halfway down the inner fender well.

The bumper itself looks centered. Looking at the front end, using body gaps as a gauge, it looks like your driver side fender is pushed in. The gap on the drivers side is WAY less than it should be. Your fender is probably just smashed in. Your trim and marker light are also broken. I would just say you need a new fender.

If you indeed find out that the bumper brackets or where the bumper mounts are is bent, you can try it. I'm not saying that your going to fix it the right way, but how did it get that way in the first place? It got forced. Try it a little at a time. Sheet metal does not like to be overstressed. it will crack and tear. Pull a little, let it go. Pull a little more, let it go. Probably a half inch at a time. Its the same way body shops repair bent frame rails. Just in a little more crude and redneck fashion. Also make sure you secure your jeep very well. I've had friends that got t boned in the side of the bed of their trucks, or slid into something on the side of the bed. we basically just tied the truck off to a tree or two and hooked up where it needed to be bent out to a chain, and pulled. Checked it with a level and square as we went. Am I saying its the right way to do it, no. But I would probably do it. If you do, make sure your chains and attachment points are VERY solid, Chains break with a hell of a lot of force. You might as well throw something over the chains like a jacket like they do with winch cables.

We actually took the old tow hooks off to put this bumper on. They have the d-link loops, so that's that. I'm going to put some more bolts into the holes that will allow for bolts on the bumper, but from what I've seen, this bumper is more than securely enough on there to do a recovery.

Here's the verdict:
It turns out this is a combination of two things: the first being my driver's side fender is dinged in pretty badly, a repair I really feel no obligation or urge to fix. The other factor is that my passenger side mounting bracket is dented in slightly. This is not a performance-inhibiting factor, all of the metal is intact, no cracks or corrosion. 1h, 40 mins later... I have removed and reinstalled my front bumper. God, what a pain without a buddy.

We actually took the old tow hooks off to put this bumper on. They have the d-link loops, so that's that. I'm going to put some more bolts into the holes that will allow for bolts on the bumper, but from what I've seen, this bumper is more than securely enough on there to do a recovery.

Here's the verdict:
It turns out this is a combination of two things: the first being my driver's side fender is dinged in pretty badly, a repair I really feel no obligation or urge to fix. The other factor is that my passenger side mounting bracket is dented in slightly. This is not a performance-inhibiting factor, all of the metal is intact, no cracks or corrosion. 1h, 40 mins later... I have removed and reinstalled my front bumper. God, what a pain without a buddy.

does the bumper only use 3 bolts per side and the mounts do not extend further down the frame rail? if so, you are running the risk of the bolts ripping through the frame if you use this for recovery. if you search for homemade bumpers, there are a lot of threads that discuss the proper way to make tie further down the frame. the last thing that you want to happen is the bumper ripping off and killing someone.

im really surprised others have not chimed in about the way that bumper is mounted. you might want to ask in modified tech whether those mounts are ok to use for recovery.

does the bumper only use 3 bolts per side and the mounts do not extend further down the frame rail? if so, you are running the risk of the bolts ripping through the frame if you use this for recovery. if you search for homemade bumpers, there are a lot of threads that discuss the proper way to make tie further down the frame. the last thing that you want to happen is the bumper ripping off and killing someone.

im really surprised others have not chimed in about the way that bumper is mounted. you might want to ask in modified tech whether those mounts are ok to use for recovery.
Will do.

Back