• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Soundbar in an '87 XJ?

Twilightoptics

NAXJA Forum User
I've got an '87 Cherokee and would like to get the speakers out of the fiberglass liftgate as they keep stripping the fiberglass when you shut the gate!

Will a soundbar from a 1998 fit dimensionally? I can fab brackets, but don't want to pick one up if it's going to be too wide.

Thanks!
-Paul

i could be wrong but i think any that are not part of the head liner its self will fit ! i dont know if i just got lucky but i got one from a unknow year and it fit right in . i had to rewire the swich to work with the harness but it was easy ! im still working on how to get it to snug up to the head liner tough as there is a small gap between the two .im thinking a long couple of screws into the the old brace on the roof . hope this helps id take a pic for you but im sans a camera right now !

yes it will work. i have a 95 sound bar in my 88. It will sag if you don't figure how to hold it to the roof. they are held up stock by the dome light. but i am too tall for it to be located there so i moved it back some and let it sag. I have no fabric for a headliner any way. NAXJA

I've got an '87 Cherokee and would like to get the speakers out of the fiberglass liftgate as they keep stripping the fiberglass when you shut the gate!
-Paul

Just curious. What do you mean by stripping? I have some aftermarket speakers in the gate of my 88. I've been in there several times since installing the speakers for other reasons and don't have any damage attributed to the speakers.

No fab needed. I put one from a '96(i think) in my '89. If you find one, make sure to keep the longer bolt/pin thing from the donor veh. The ends are held up by the trim pieces. Hardest part was getting at the speaker wires that run to the hatch. Piece of cake.

Awesome. So I need one from a '97 and older. I'll hit the boneyard. Found a '98 on craigslist. Don't wanna mess with the headliner. I ditched mine also, it was sagging and gross. Better things to spend money on!

By "stripping" I mean the screws themselves are stripped out of the lift gate. I noticed a speaker half hanging down one grocery trip when I had the gate up.

Back