• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

New shoes now steeringwheel off 10 degrees?

Ray H

NAXJA Forum User
I just had a new set of BFG ATs put on to replace my worn BFG MTs. Ive been running the MTs for several thousand miles with no issues.
I bought the ATs and had them mounted and balanced. They ride and drive great, they track straight ahead, the air pressure is indentical in all four tires but my steering wheel in now off about 10 degrees.
What about changing tires would cause the steering wheel to be off besides air pressure (which checks out fine)?
Again, Note, the Jeep doesnt pull and it brakes straight, its just that the steering wheel is no longer centered.
Tomorrow when its daylight I'll be rotating these tires to see if things change, until then, any ideas?

DEIT: Yes, I did double check to make sure they are all the same size.

They bent a tie rod when they lifted it???? Look underneath to check for damage. Is the toe in still good? Visual or sticks underneath (or wheel alignment shop), but you can check it with two yardsticks underneath. Should have slight toe-in (1/16-1/8"). You probably know that you need to adjust the tie rods to maintain correct toe-in and steering wheel centering. Toe-in is for steering and tire wear, but steering wheel centering is just for esthetics. But if it changed, the toe-in is probably bad.

Another wild idea -- tape measure the tire circumference?????? :sure:

They bent a tie rod when they lifted it???? Look underneath to check for damage. Is the toe in still good? Visual or sticks underneath (or wheel alignment shop), but you can check it with two yardsticks underneath. Should have slight toe-in (1/16-1/8"). You probably know that you need to adjust the tie rods to maintain correct toe-in and steering wheel centering. Toe-in is for steering and tire wear, but steering wheel centering is just for esthetics. But if it changed, the toe-in is probably bad.

Another wild idea -- tape measure the tire circumference?????? :sure:

Good suggestion but I forgot to mention that I did crawl under and look at the tie rod. It appears straight. I do my own alignments so I know how to fix this. I just thought it was odd that a simple tire change would cause the steeringwheel to be off center. Ive never had that happen before. I wanted to make sure I wasnt missing something obvious. I will throw a tape on the tires though and tomorrow I'll pull it in the garage and measure the tow as well. If nothing is wrong I'll just adjust the drag link while Im under there and chalk it up to "shit happens".

I went out this morning and put the jack under it. Both tires are identical circumference (I rotated them side to side just to be sure) and the tie rod isnt bent. I dont see anything that would cause this. I did notice that I need to replace a couple tie rod ends as the boots that are ripped. The only thing I can see that may have caused it is that my track bar has poly bushings. Its possible it may have moved in one of the bushings when they put it on the rack and it stayed that way. Visually it looks fine though.
I just gave the drag link sleeve about half a turn and called it good, we will see if everything stays where it is as I drive it

Wow! I never thought of that. On a Jeep, the whole front axle could shift over a little. I thought poly bushings would eliminate play though.

Hey - seperate question. Your vehicle signature (or whatever it's called) includes "Warn". You don't say you have changed axles. Do you have Warn hubs on the front axles. I didn't know this could be done. Thanks - I'm a Jeep newbie, and all the fuel mileage posts, etc. don't talk about disconnecting hub, so I'm assuming that can't be done. Maybe you have other axles or the Warn means something else.

Warn does make locking hubs that will fit a D30 with 4.5 bolt pattern but I dont have one. Ive got a Warn winch and t-case skid plate.

EDIT: Warn used to make a kit for the D30 with 4.5 pattern but I dont see it on their site anymore, maybe they have discontinued it.

EDIT again: Look for Warn part# 38007. I think Milemarker also makes a hub conversion kit for our Jeeps as well .

Last edited:
Back