• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

P.T. 4WD lite on dash .....

jocko463

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,

I'm a relatively new member, been lurking about and picking up some good info. I come today with a question about a problem:

I have a '00 XJ, 4.0L, AW4 with the NV242 TC (has part and full-time 4WD). The problem I'm having is that the part-time 4WD light on the dash will not go out. This has happened before and I'm familiar with all the tricks used to get the TC unstuck (and my tires are relatively new and of equal pressure) ...tried them all but no workee.

It sounded like the TC came out of PT 4WD when I went to 2WD but the dash light wouldn't go out no matter what I tried ...so I stuck it in FT 4WD and came home.

Troubleshooting:

I raised the rear wheel and with the tranny in "N", the TC selector in "2WD" and the PT 4WD dash light on ...I was able to rotate the rear wheel. I put the TC into PT4WD (HI) and I could not rotate the wheel; I put it in PT 4WD and could rotate the tire; then put it into PT 4WD (LO) and could not rotate the tire. The dash light would change for the appropriate 4WD modes; yellow for both PT modes and green for the FT mode ...it just will not go out in 2WD. My troubleshooting leads me to believe it's a switch problem since the rear wheel would lock up or rotate in the appropriate 4WD modes. I looked in my FSM in the NV242 section but saw nothing about a switch ....which just dawned on me I should check the electrical section. I have adjusted the TC linkage (what a piece of crap that thing is) but there still seems like a lot of play in it ....the little brass ball bushing and it's cage are worn a bit.

Has anyone had the mode switch go bad and how difficult is it to replace? Any other ideas would also be appreciated. I may try readjusting the linkage once again.

Thanks,
Mike
00XJ

Back