• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

OEM distributor cap

paroxysym

NAXJA Forum User
i replaced my cap and rotor yesterday. bought mopar parts from the dealer- was rather shocker it only cost $27 for both. get the rotor in, cap on and i torque down the screws on the distributor cap. there is still alittle play in the cap. i mean its on, but you can kind of wiggle it back and forth alittle. she runs, so i take it she is fine. just wondering if thats normal. my original cap was gray- the new one is black... doesnt matter, right?

Color doesn't make any difference. As long as it runs fine and you've confirmed the screws are tightened properly, you can probably assume the cap is on correctly and you should be okay.

If theres any play then its probably not sealed meaning water can get in. I would remove it and check the dist. to make sure the screw holes are ok then reinstall it.

A little rotational play is normal and should have no affect. It's just sliding on the flat surface. Some caps used to have a little vent and for years GM had a little sheet metal sliding window to reach in with an allen wrench to adjust dwell. Definately not water tight. I occasionally had older vehicles which wouldn't start under high moisture conditions where I had to pull the cap and dry it out.

i mean everything is torqued down.. i mean could i have it on wrong? maybe rotate it so the screw closest to the front is in the back and vice versa?

You should not be able to do that. I know on RENIX, one of the screw "tabs" on the distributor housing has a round shape and the other is squared off - so you can't reverse the distributor cap. This is fairly common, so I see no reason to believe that they didn't do it all the way up.

Back