• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tired of faded molding/flares?

kennzz05

basic dumbass
i read on here awhile ago about using a heat gun or torch to heat the moldings and flares to make em back to black well i just did it and it works pretty good if you use a torch ya gotta move pretty fast to keep from melting it dosent do much for the bumper ends though but itll save you from buying armorall all the time to keep em looking black

A can of spray paint works well too and no risk of burning.

trim2.jpg

Forever Black. The stuff is only a few bucks and I applied two coats (one bottle, sittle have some left) to the entire trim on the Jeep, works on all the moldings. Been on for over a year now and still as black as it gets. I wouldn't risk melting my molding with a heat gun. This works for me.

kennzz05 said:
i read on here awhile ago about using a heat gun or torch to heat the moldings and flares to make em back to black well i just did it and it works pretty good if you use a torch ya gotta move pretty fast to keep from melting it dosent do much for the bumper ends though but itll save you from buying armorall all the time to keep em looking black

DO NOT USE ARMORALL it's garbage It Will Dry out and crack your stuff. Looks great at first but thats it
:flame:

I have found success using a stiff "scrub brush" on the black plastic each time i wash the car,, it seems to buff it, keeping the fading and oxidation down..

the moldings like mine on my 94 can be buffed with wax & come out great.

my jeep has a different kind of molding than the newer ones.

those need to be clean scuffed and painted.

RCman said:
trim2.jpg

Forever Black. The stuff is only a few bucks and I applied two coats (one bottle, sittle have some left) to the entire trim on the Jeep, works on all the moldings. Been on for over a year now and still as black as it gets. I wouldn't risk melting my molding with a heat gun. This works for me.
x2, Ive used it on just about anything thats faded and its worked like a charm.

Harlee&Tahoe said:
DO NOT USE ARMORALL it's garbage It Will Dry out and crack your stuff. Looks great at first but thats it
:flame:
SPOBI

Been using it for 20+ years. No issues.

Anybody else have more input for this?

I've got a 99 sport. And I am just tired of using Back to Black all the time on it, and the trim on the doors is starting to gap a little bit, so I am just about ready to get my torch out and buy a new roll of 3M..

But I dunno, I might try this Forever Black if it really, honestly works.
What kind of stores carry this? I looked on their site and found none for Delaware or Maryland..

I used some light rubbing compound on mine for buffing out cars (Turtle Wax - paste that comes in a little plastic tub). They came out great and 6 months later they're still looking good.

Mix it with some water though and polish the flares like you would a car's paint.

I went another route. When I was in the process of painting my XJ, I removed the flares and hit them with rocker guard. They are satin black and rough textured. This was the look that I was going for.

Rocker guard? Like bed liner?

Back