• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I Hate Unibodies!

99xj4x4

NAXJA Forum User
0816081231.jpg

Haha maybe thats why my windshield frame kept flexing....

I drilled it and tig welded it, well see I need to get the windshield braces on the cage. Anyone have access to a machine that can stamp some pretty designs into 3/16 plate? The Ironworker I have access to wont do what I want.

Hate to tell ya, but that's not got a damned thing to do with monocoque (unit-body, or "unibody") construction - it's too high up. You're just as likely to see that in a "box-on-frame" vehicle as you are a unibody.

Besides, unibody does have some advantages - not that they're advantages across the board. You usually lose somewhere around 200# or so in chassis weight - but the weight you lose is at the bottom of the chassis in frame and frame mount reinforcements. So you get a lighter vehicle, but with a slightly higher COG. No trouble in street vehicles, but can be an issue in 4WD with off-camber terrain...

If you wheel, you'll eventually get cracks, whether it's an XJ, or vehicles with frames like a CJ or Toy pickup. You just take precautions.

Haha. Its ok its not a unibody any more, and it definitely doesn’t weigh 200 lbs less any more.

0000714081905.jpg

0814081909a.jpg

1110081559.jpg
3/16 th plate frame, and 3/16 plate floor boards.

Rich do you know anyone in town that can punch some holes for me (I cannot for the life of me remember the name for the kind for dimpled holes im talking about)?

Nice, I like it. No offense but it kinda looks Rover-ish with the low window line and rear like that. I still like it though.

Haha. Its ok its not a unibody any more, and it definitely doesn’t weigh 200 lbs less any more.
1110081559.jpg
[/SIZE][/FONT]3/16 th plate frame, and 3/16 plate floor boards.
I like how you kept the lid integrated into the new cage. It looks sweet!
Very nice.

Maybe we can get them to mate and sell the puppies.....

IMG_8997.jpg

And don't listen to Mr.Pickle. I can give you some advice on what to if he starts bothering you.... :)

Dimple Die?

P1010020.jpg

Yep that’s exactly what I need. I thought there was a different name for it...

Ive been promising people pictures of the chop top for 3 months now I just finished posting them last night. My goal is before 2009 to do a write up in Adv Fab.

3/16 was used because its #1 what I had, and secondly it allows me to weld brackets to, attach a rear suck down winch, solid platform for shock/ coil over towers and suck later on.

Its too hot not to have a roof. The first trip this summer we mob'ed to Dusey w/ no top, and it was so hot in the direct sun light I ended up putting a mexican blanket top on w/ 100 zip ties for the ride home. + in the winter it keeps me dry. All soft tops are out because the first tree branch or rock and they are toast, and this cage was built to be used. I already have another sheet metal top ready to go after this one gets toasted.

Yep that’s exactly what I need. I thought there was a different name for it...

Ive been promising people pictures of the chop top for 3 months now I just finished posting them last night. My goal is before 2009 to do a write up in Adv Fab.

3/16 was used because its #1 what I had, and secondly it allows me to weld brackets to, attach a rear suck down winch, solid platform for shock/ coil over towers and suck later on.

Its too hot not to have a roof. The first trip this summer we mob'ed to Dusey w/ no top, and it was so hot in the direct sun light I ended up putting a mexican blanket top on w/ 100 zip ties for the ride home. + in the winter it keeps me dry. All soft tops are out because the first tree branch or rock and they are toast, and this cage was built to be used. I already have another sheet metal top ready to go after this one gets toasted.
Looks pretty sweet dude!

Back