• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2 keys, one lock, one girl

slapshot

NAXJA Forum User
hey all

soo, being the responsible adult i am, i decided not to drink and drive and let my mormon friend drive me home the other day. although i spent a great deal of time explaining to her that my jeep makes use of two different keys, one to turn on, one to open the door, she still managed to insert my ignition key into my driver side lock cylinder, and break it off in the lock.

I'm wondering if there is any way i can retrieve this broken piece by simply removing the cylinder and toying with it, i really dont want to replace the lock,

aany thoughts?

hey all

soo, being the responsible adult i am, i decided not to drink and drive and let my mormon friend drive me home the other day. although i spent a great deal of time explaining to her that my jeep makes use of two different keys, one to turn on, one to open the door, she still managed to insert my ignition key into my driver side lock cylinder, and break it off in the lock.

I'm wondering if there is any way i can retrieve this broken piece by simply removing the cylinder and toying with it, i really dont want to replace the lock,

aany thoughts?
good decision on the not driving drunk!Its got to come out anyways, so go a head and pull it out of the door and give it a whirl. If not a locksmith can fix it no prob! hopefully you have a spare ignition key!

hey all

aany thoughts?
Women + driving = bad...(for the most part)

I ground down some needle nose pliers to a very thin profile and have used them to good effect in the past.

Magnet won't work - the keys are brass.

Locksmiths use a tool called a "broken key extractor" - there are a few different styles. Most common is either a smallish hook made of spring wire (you slip it in and hook on the end of the key,) or a "spiral extractor" - it's a stiff metal core with a bit of wire wrapped around it, and you "screw" it in between the cylinder and key. Then, pull the key out with it.

And, as mentioned, you can take a pair of longnose pliers (use a small pair with a very long nose - more effective and less work) and grind the jaws down to fit in the keyway. The second type of key extractor can probably be improvised using a very small "number" drill bit (#75-#80 or so,) and the first type can be made from music wire in a pinch - a stiff guitar string or a bit of piano wire.

Good luck!

If it's not too deep you could try a dab of crazy glue on the end of the key you have reinsert it wait 30-40 seconds and try to pull it out. The Key here is a very small dab so the glue doesn't spread out and stick to the cylinder. I've tried it in deadbolt cylinders with some susscess.

mormon friend

somehow I don't think that he was "repaid." They don't even drink coffee...:nono: You could always use my method for door locks. Don't lock it. I have one set of keys for mine and replacing the cheap ass radio is better than replacing a wing window.

Parakeet

thats funny, i had my key broken off in the lock recently, i used a needle nose and promptly called the local locksmiths to see who had a machine capable of cutting a copy out of my key fragment, as long as you have the entire piece that actually goes in the door, and all of the grooves are intact, they should be able to help you pretty quick, youll just want to test it to make sure, or the next step will be cross referencing your key fragment with a database of key patterns, not fun :-(

although i spent a great deal of time explaining to her that my jeep makes use of two different keys, one to turn on, one to open the door, she still managed to insert my ignition key into my driver side lock cylinder, and break it off in the lock any thoughts?

are you sure she wasn't the drunk one?

normally when a key breaks, it'll twist and leave a small edge that you can grab with a pick. Try two picks, one on that edge, and one in the lock on the first tooth of the key. I think you'll be surprised how easy it is ti pull with them.

Back