• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Not cranking ????

ZeroCool

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guy's, I Just got my first xj and have big plans for it but right now
I have a problem with starting.I turn the key all the lights come on but the motor won't crank?. I replaced the starter relay, took out the nss and cleaned it, checked res. between terminals b-c and that was fine,and also
had the starter checked 3 different time and that tested fine. The neg. battery cable is also new, So I am at a total loss.Any idea's ??Thanks:cheers:

I know you said you cleaned the NSS but did you adjust it after re install have someone stand behind you and see if you have reverse lights if not then that is still the culprit. Post up with the results or PM me and I will try and help you trouble shoot some more.

Craig

NP, just wanted to make sure I post the right pic.

NSS_1.jpg

When you say res, you should get extremely low resistance, as in continuity.

You can also jumper the A-E terminals on the main harness side and see if the BU lights come on.

OK, let me clarify. On the NSS side, you should get continuity on the pin pairings in the diagram. So A-E should show close to zero ohms, so should B-C.

If you jumper the main harness side (not with the meter, just a wire), on A-E the BU lights should come one. If you jumper B-C, try cranking it.

We don't know for sure that the battery is strong enough. Did you try jumping it from another vehicle? What about running a jumper cable from your positive battery terminal directly to the starter on the positive feed? (Be careful that you are in Park - you will be bypassing the safety.)

I took the green wire off the starter relay which is for the starter and touched it to the battery and still nothing .Could it be the computer ??

the same wire that runs straight to the starter? If so, you've got a break in that wire (since the starter tested fine x3.) Try jumping the small terminal to the big terminal on the starter it self. Assuming the big cable is good, and the starter is good it should crank. A test light or volt meter at the starter end of the green wire will tell you if it's getting electricity when you try to start also.

Are you sure you used the right green wire? There are 2. One comes from the ign switch, and the other runs to the solenoid as Shorty says. Try his suggestion.

This is my 88.
JeepEngineBay006.jpg

Yes I traced the wire down to the starter,when I touch the battery I hear
a clicking sound from the right wheelwell. I tried the jumping and still nothing. It was not a really big spark,should it have been ???

Yes I traced the wire down to the starter,when I touch the battery I hear
a clicking sound from the right wheelwell. I tried the jumping and still nothing. It was not a really big spark,should it have been ???

If you mean the green wire then no, it should not make a big spark. The clicking you hear is most likely the starter solenoid. If that's the case, your starter's bad (or at least, the solenoid), or the positive battery cable's no good.

a VERY valid point that hasn't, yet been addressed. Do we know FOR CERTAIN that we are playing with a fully charged and able battery?

Yeah, what he said too!

Back