• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Interior Bulb Replacement

river6822

NAXJA Forum User
I know from reading the posts that there is some confusion, or at least I was confused, about some of the interior lighting. Specifically with the temp - a/c - heater control panel lamp, and the gear select panel lamp.

I didn't think that I had either, until doing some searching in the forums. In any case, I'm sure if my zero frills 92 has these lamps, they must be standard on everyone elses.

Tools :
#2 Philips Head screwdriver, Long thin flat bladed tool (Putty knife, pocket knife)

Bulbs:
Temp Panel - Sylvania #74
Shift Plate Panel - Sylvania #161

Temp Control Panel

First remove the instrument cluster bezel. On mine there were two screws on the underside of the hood that covers the instrument cluster. You can see them through the steering wheel, looking at the speedo. The only other screw on mine was facing the same direction (up) in one of the recessed compartments to the right of the steering wheel. This particular panel on my XJ houses the cigarette lighter.

After removing these three screws, gently work the bezel out over the steering wheel. It has plastic catches on the right side and one in the middle. the whole thing just pulls straight out. Be careful not to snap it, as I've heard has been done before.

Now that you have the bezel removed, remove the 4 screws holding the temp control panel to the dash frame. You won't be able to pull it out very far, but you can easily get to the bulb connector. It's on the top right of the control panel. Remove it wit a quarter turn and pull the bulb and socket out of the back of the panel. The bulb is a bayonette type. Simply pull it out of the socket, and replace with the #74 bulb. Re-insert the socket into the temp panel, and trun it to lock in place. Re-install the four screws, put the bezel back and it's 3 screws and you're done.

Shift Plate

Insert your flat bladed tool in the rectangular crevass that is the outermost perimeter of that black plastic plate that sits in the center console surrounding the gear shifter. Gently pry the plate straight up. It will come enough to hit the shift knob, and you can get to the bulb underneath and to the left. This one doesn't seem to lock into place, it's just friction fit in there. Pull straight down and it should slide right out. Replace the blown bulb with a #161. Re-install the socket with new bulb. Re-install the plate. You're done.

On a side note, no one had a listing for the bulb for this, I guessed at the 161, and it works fine. There are several wattages in that style, I chose the lowest one.

Now I can see what the heck I'm doing in the dark.

Back