• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I know you will all get tired of this but....

Ill be there rick, see what hammers trails i can tackle, maybe ill camp with you guys this time.

Damn it...... Cant make this one. We have Anahiem 2 Supercross that night.

Annual Superstition Event that weekend - numero 11!

Maybe if my jeep is running..

Here is a great video posted by Off Road Radio.
Take the seven minutes and watch it.
Thanks guys.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNxIbbGvxro

Hey Rick, thanks for posting this video. I just watched it. So glad that everyone seams to be working together to come to a conclusion, and that each group not only wants to voice their opinion, but hear the opinions of others as well. This is the complete opposite of a "land grab"

More importantly, this is the first time I'm hearing about the comment cards from the land acquisition program manager. I'll say it, I'm guilty of not paying attention 100% of the time to what's going on with the cause (that's why I'm so grateful YOU seam to be), so maybe I missed it. Either that or it's because I'm a visual person. I'd rather watch a video then read a thread 10 pages long.

That being said, is there thing you can point me to now that maybe I should have read about the comment cards? Has there been a consensus with the rock crawling community as to which proposed alternative is best?

After watching that video, I may have to cancel superstition with the san diego 4 wheelers until after 2010.

Hey Rick, thanks for posting this video. I just watched it. So glad that everyone seams to be working together to come to a conclusion, and that each group not only wants to voice their opinion, but hear the opinions of others as well. This is the complete opposite of a "land grab"

More importantly, this is the first time I'm hearing about the comment cards from the land acquisition program manager. I'll say it, I'm guilty of not paying attention 100% of the time to what's going on with the cause (that's why I'm so grateful YOU seam to be), so maybe I missed it. Either that or it's because I'm a visual person. I'd rather watch a video then read a thread 10 pages long.

That being said, is there thing you can point me to now that maybe I should have read about the comment cards? Has there been a consensus with the rock crawling community as to which proposed alternative is best?

After watching that video, I may have to cancel superstition with the san diego 4 wheelers until after 2010.

Go to www.fojv.org and check the links for the downloads of all the forms you could possibly want!
As far as what we would like to see happen, like Helen says, Go East Marines , go East! Option #3.
I'm also thinking that the San Diego event can do without me for one more year...

Rick

Apple Valley Resolution re Johnson Valley
RESOLUTION No. 2008-68

A RESOLUTION OF THE TOWN COUNCIL OF THE TOWN OF APPLE VALLEY, CALIFORNIA, REGISTERING AS A STAKEHOLDER FOR THE PROPOSED TWENTYNINE PALMS TRAINING LAND/AIRSPACE ACQUISITION PROJECT

WHEREAS, the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley desires to preserve, promote and retain public use and access to recreational land; and

WHEREAS, the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley recognizes that there is a legitimate public policy need to provide recreational opportunities for our citizens; and

WHEREAS, the reduction of 135,000 acres of accessible public land now used by off-road vehicle enthusiasts will have a negative impact on the local economy including the loss of tax revenues; and

WHEREAS, the tourism industry would suffer if recreational areas become unusable or inaccessible due to the expansion of the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Centerto the west; and

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT RESOLVED thatthe Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley, California, finds, determines and orders as follows:

1. The Town of Apple Valley wishes to register as a stakeholder

2. The Town of Apple Valley opposes the proposed Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center expansion into the Johnson Valley Off Road Vehicle Area

3. The Town of Apple Valley supports the expansion of the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center to the east of the Training Facility in Twentynine Palms.

APPROVED AND ADOPTED by the Town Council of the Town of Apple Valley this 9th day of December, 2008.

Rick Roelle, Mayor

ATTEST:

La Vonda M-Pearson, Town Clerk
F-Toy #27
Apple Valley

THIS is what we need, and it appears as though we are getting it!

:party:

i may be out there just not in the jeep, ill just be attending to have presence to help keep the place open

Too bad I don't go through Apple Valley, but don't tell Apple Valley that. I drive through Yucca Valley. So where's Yucca Valley in all this? I always stop and top off gas and of course the Water Canyon Coffe Co for an iced mocha and maybe a brownie.

Too bad I don't go through Apple Valley, but don't tell Apple Valley that. I drive through Yucca Valley. So where's Yucca Valley in all this? I always stop and top off gas and of course the Water Canyon Coffe Co for an iced mocha and maybe a brownie.

As far as I know Yucca would also prefer a move east by the Marines.
Thus allowing the growth of the base and maintaining the money flow brought by the off-roaders.

You asked about Yucca Valley?

;)

Hi-Desert Star

Published: Wednesday, December 17, 2008 1:54 AM CST

YUCCA VALLEY — The Town Council took a stand on the proposed expansion of the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center Thursday by approving a resolution granting them stakeholder status to the process.

This item was added to the council’s agenda last week to meet a filing deadline date of Dec. 15.

The resolution states that while the Town of Yucca Valley supports MCAGCC’s need to expand its live-fire training facilities, the council opposes expansion into Johnson Valley off-road vehicle recreational areas.

The resolution will be presented to the Bureau of Land Management, United States Marine Corps, Department of Defense and relevant members of the California Congressional Delegation.

More than 420,000 acres of BLM public lands and non-federally owned lands are being considered in different alternatives for expansion by the Department of the Navy. Per the Town’s staff report, 135,000 of those acres would be taken from the Johnson Valley OHV area’s 188,000 acres, making them off limits to the public.

“Johnson Valley is home to the largest off-highway vehicle area in the region,” the report found, “providing economic benefits to the surrounding communities, and opportunities for off-highway vehicle enthusiasts and many others to enjoy recreation in the desert. Additionally, Johnson Valley is a popular site for photography and the filming of movies, commercials and other productions which generate additional economic benefits.”

Many residents of this the are opposed to the Marines’ expansion into public-use lands. Alliances have been growing among neighborhood groups, off-roaders, wilderness recreation organizations and environmental coalitions.

But the Department of Defense believes the expansion is warranted. According to an official United States Marine Corps Web site, “Marines must train as they fight. This requires more training land and airspace than is now available anywhere in the United States.”

The Corps needs a training area that can accommodate three battalions simultaneously maneuvering for 48 to 72 hours and the accompanying airspace.”

A battalion is between 500 and 1,200 troops.

The Town of Yucca Valley does endorse an eastern expansion of the training area.

“There are significant areas contiguous to currently proposed expansion areas that would likely provide training benefit at minimal cost to natural resources,” the staff report comments.

Councilman Bill Neeb remarked there is a value to having the Johnson Valley area available for the town’s off-roaders.

Neeb added Apple Valley Mayor Rick Roelle also is “quite concerned” that the Johnson Valley OHV areas would be lost to tourism, and Roelle intends for Apple Valley to weigh in with stakeholder status to that effect.

County Supervisor Brad Mitzelfelt was also cited by the councilman as being opposed to western expansion and in favor of eastern expansion.

Mike “Grumpy” Kelliher, speaking on behalf of fellow stakeholder the Yucca Valley Chamber of Commerce, sees the issue as “a very complex problem that will be addressed over the next few years.”

Although understanding the Marines’ need for expansion, Kelliher saw a “double-edged sword” looming for Yucca Valley with the loss of the OHV area. “The grant money that is issued to the county because we do have an OHV area will go from $50,000 to $5,000,” he claimed.

The chamber also recommended the base expand to the east.

;)

Back