• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GPS units ?

I know nothing about the Tom Tom.

On the Oregon series do your research. Quite a few have complained about the Oregon. Plus how can anything good be named after THAT state :)

I LOVE my Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSX. I think it is the prefect multi purpose receiver for wheeling and what not

Search here.
http://www.gpsinformation.org/forum/
And here.
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/

And remember the receiver is only half the cost. I have about $400 into various maps and programs.

And remember the receiver is only half the cost. I have about $400 into various maps and programs.

:wow: wow..... I wasn't aware of that side of things. I was assuming that the maps were part of the price or a minor additional as new updates became available.

Good info on the Oregon series. I was mostly just throwing it out there as an example of a hand held as I have yet to do the necessary six months of research prior to deciding I don't know enough and not buying one because it will be out of date before I open the package....

the 60 cs or 60 csx will be best for both on/offroad adventures.

---------
Personal experience with tom tom, they have Terrible customer service, and they will screw you on the warranty, my buddy bought a Tomtom one XL, 6 months after using it daily, it started to have issues, such as shutting off etc, Tom tom said it was a software issue, reinstall the software, still no luck. by the time they were willing to work on it, they said the warranty was up! (less then a year after purchase)

EDIT:If possible, buy whatever your buying, in Oregon.. (the "stupid state") so you dont get charged $20 for sales tax..

oh wait.. gas prices still haven't dropped in your state :confused1

the 60 cs or 60 csx will be best for both on/offroad adventures.

---------
Personal experience with tom tom, they have Terrible customer service, and they will screw you on the warranty, my buddy bought a Tomtom one XL, 6 months after using it daily, it started to have issues, such as shutting off etc, Tom tom said it was a software issue, reinstall the software, still no luck. by the time they were willing to work on it, they said the warranty was up! (less then a year after purchase)

EDIT:If possible, buy whatever your buying, in Oregon.. (the "stupid state") so you dont get charged $20 for sales tax..

oh wait.. gas prices still haven't dropped in your state :confused1

The Oregon comment was a total good natured joke. If you don't know Hans just take my word: There's not an evil bone in that Amish guy. :farmer:

P.S. WA and OR were part of the Oregon Territory and they ripped the North part and named after the Presidential seat.... try having to live with that. :anon:

:wow: wow..... I wasn't aware of that side of things. I was assuming that the maps were part of the price or a minor additional as new updates became available.
Yea each map set is $100-$130. With an update being $75. IMHO you only need TOPO and a City Navigator. But I have stocked up, you can say. There are also free supplemental maps online, if you know where to look. Most hand held receivers only come with a very basic map. BUT auto units come with a City Navigator program already installed. Now all my comments are about Garmins.

When I first started looking into GPS receivers I wasn't sure if I would ever really use it. But now after owning mine for a year and a half, I can't imagine traveling, wheeling, or hiking without it.

Sorry about the Oregon joke, it sounded funnier in my head ;)

This one time in Moab..........

no hard feelings. i love both states. i just like makin fun of your sales tax hahaha

What about state income tax?

I know nothing about the Tom Tom.

On the Oregon series do your research. Quite a few have complained about the Oregon. Plus how can anything good be named after THAT state :)

I LOVE my Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSX. I think it is the prefect multi purpose receiver for wheeling and what not

Search here.
http://www.gpsinformation.org/forum/
And here.
http://forums.groundspeak.com/GC/

I love my Garmin 60csx. The maps prices caught me by surprise. I didn't know you didn't get anything worth a crud with it... but as with most things.. the internet is your friend.

i guess i gotta hold a job long enough to realize how high the income taxes are...

I got a gift certificate for a GPS unit. So now I am totally in to the research. Unfortunately the cert is for Best Buy and they do not carry the Delorme.

The question I am looking at is: The Garmin GPS MAP 60 CSx or a lap top and $100 GPS receiver ( https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=139&pID=420 ) ???

I understand that mobility is limited with the lap top option but since I don't yet have, but also want, a laptop.........

Back