• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

mystery place on dash?

MauriceGOL

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
On 88 cherokees, just on the passenger side of the radio there is a verticle divider between the glove box and radio. the top part is a a/c outlet beneather that is blank.
what is behind the blank section?
i am looking to install a dc/ac converter hard wired and that seemed like a good mounting position if it is deep enough.
thanks

There is a little bit of room, but you would need to cut out an openning in the existing angled pocket that is behind the mock vent. Also, it would need to be a skinny converter.

You are better off to mount it under the dash. It will provide for better heat dissipation.

well i figured being under the vent i would be able to get plenty of heat dissipation especially since in the winter heat will be coming from below the dash.
the converter is a little more than an inch thick, just bigger than a grounded edison plug, do you think that would work?

You be the judge....

DCP01276py.jpg

it will fit the width, but how deep is that? not just the dash piece but behind that as well

why not extend just the plug from the inverter, and them mount the inverter remotely?

but there are two plugs. one is an edison and the other is a usb charger for things like ipods and treo's. it's wouldn;t be too tough to mount the regular plug but i am not sure how to afix the usb securely in the dash

go to a computer store and pick up one of those USB plates that take up a rear slot on the case and wire up to the motherboard headers. Wire a USB-A plug to the header connection and you're gold. You can shape the plate to fit as you want and bolt it up. These are usually real cheap at a second hand computer store.
ac1rl7.jpg

Last edited:
BigG said:
go to a computer store and pick up one of those USB plates that take up a rear slot on the case and wire up to the motherboard headers. Wire a USB-A plug to the header connection and you're gold. You can shape the plate to fit as you want and bolt it up.
ac1rl7.jpg
that's what I would do.
Shouldn't take more than a half hour of soldering iron to do it.

how's it mounted in the inverter? Got to have some screws or some manner of retention.
Take apart the inverter, and try to duplicate how they've mounted it, then extend it from the circuit board with some wiring.
It's all custom, so giving an exact answer isn't possible, you just need to take all the bits and start mocking them up to see what's gonna work.

MauriceGOL said:
any suggestions about mounting the plug?

If you get the adapter bracket pictured above, the plugs screw onto the plate with two screws a piece. I would cut a hole for the plug to fit through, glue the plate to the outside of the panel, and screw the plug to the plate. If you are careful with cutting the plate, it should look good.

Back