• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tom Woods DS measurements?

XJ858

NAXJA Forum User
I'm finally ready to order a 6" Full Traction lift and want to do the install the right way. After lurking and searching naxja I've decided on a Tom Woods SYE for my 242 TC. Now I have to give Tom Woods a driveshaft measurement to send me the right driveshaft. The problem is I havent installed the lift yet. Does anyone know the correct driveshaft length for an XJ with a 242TC and a 6" lift? I've heard that 6" is too high to drive without an SYE. For those of you who have ordered drive shafts do you just install the lift first, then measure, then order? Or is there a predetermined length here?

I'm trying to order all the parts I need at one time so my daily driver XJ will be on jackstands as little as possible.

I know I wouldn't order anything that ''could be'' right when I'm spending that much money. I've heard time and time again (for both shocks and driveshafts) lift first, measure, order. I'd rather be down for a few days on my DD than have to send parts back or get stuck with something that doesn't work. So when I finally get my RE6130 Lift and DBs in (sitting in my garage, just waiting, so should be soon) I'll be down (or driving with just a front driveshaft) for a few days, no big deal to me.

Good Luck! :D

I have 6.5" with a 31.25" rear driveshaft, but thats with a 231. I would install the lift and then measure, just too make sure. I've ordered 3 or 4 shafts from him, they usually take less than a week to get to my house from the time I order it.

I bought 2 shafts from TW,paid good money for an excellent product.I even had him make them with long splines so both the front/rear would be interchangable.MEASURE FIRST!

XJ858 said:
do you just install the lift first, then measure, then order?

In short, yes. I have a DD also. Install the lift, without the TCase drops in my case, measure, order and wait. TW ships fast so you will only have to wait a couple of days. It's worth it. I have no vibes at any speed.

Good luck!

Ok guys I trust you. Will be installing the lift first then measuring. I like the idea of interchanging the shaft with a front shaft and will talk to the guys at TW about it. Anyway thanks again for the consensus on this topic, especially given the number of recent posts of SYEs.

Ben
(99 XJ 4.0, Auto, 242)

xj joey said:
goin to have to measure first. i put a RE 4.5 lift on my and needed a 31 inch shaft and SYE if that helps u at all.

I installed the same lift and needed a 34.5" shaft. So there is deffinatly no answer to that question.

So like everyone else said "measure first". Its worth the extra time.

Have fun with the install.

James.

Back