• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

HELP!! Needed

Brendan_91XJ

NAXJA Member #1163
Are there any electricians out there that can lend me a hand.
I have an electrical problem in the house.
It is one 15A breaker, it doesn't pop the breaker but every thing is dead on that circuit.
I pulled the breaker and checked it, and check the same line in the house using another breaker... Still nothing.

I hooked the breaker back up a little ealier today, and turned it on.
I got a couple lights to come on, when I got to the living room light, I turned that on and it glowed for a bit, now the circuit is completely dead again.

May have found the issue... Some burned wires in a light switch, Look like I may have to rip up the wall to replace the wires....

I'd offer to help but I'm a plumber and electricity is just plain magic to me?????
Hopefully you have conduit in the wall and can pull new wires without having to tear into the walls.

I would check all connections at the recepticals and lighting fixtures. My dad is a certified electrician, and after asking him the question, that is what he said. GOOD LUCK!

We traced everything, from attic space to switches to receps to fixtures.

The problem is the first switch.

We need to fish some new wire through the old routing holes, or tear out some wall to replace the wire.

We traced everything, from attic space to switches to receps to fixtures.

The problem is the first switch.

We need to fish some new wire through the old routing holes, or tear out some wall to replace the wire.

Good luck with THAT!! With all the staples holding the wiring in the walls. You're gonna be tearing out plaster for sure.:conceited Wish I had more time to help out.

You think the wire is stapled to the studs, or drilled through?

Steel fish tape should work for the latter of the two.

Still trying to get a sparky buddy to come down for B.

You think the wire is stapled to the studs, or drilled through?

Steel fish tape should work for the latter of the two.

Still trying to get a sparky buddy to come down for B.

They will be stapled to the studs near the boxes and just below the holes through the top plates and also in the attic every 4' or so.

Stapled for sure. His house was built around the same era as mine and should have cloth two wire Romex stapled to the studs.

If I were you Brendan I'd run a new wire from the attic to the switch, put a J box up there and splice.

After that I'd consider pulling a permit (you're the owner, right?) and changing your main panel so you can upgrade the service one new circuit at a time.

Stapled for sure. His house was built around the same era as mine and should have cloth two wire Romex stapled to the studs.

If I were you Brendan I'd run a new wire from the attic to the switch, put a J box up there and splice.

After that I'd consider pulling a permit (you're the owner, right?) and changing your main panel so you can upgrade the service one new circuit at a time.

Exacury! You've learned a few things playing with the old house have you?

I'm heading over there in a bit to help move stuff out of the way, and start the demo.

I'd don't know if he has internet access, but I'll pass on the info.

An upgraded panel is needed for sure.

As far as patching the lath goes, should we go for typical lath and plaster, or is there a better product out there?

I'm heading over there in a bit to help move stuff out of the way, and start the demo.

I'd don't know if he has internet access, but I'll pass on the info.

An upgraded panel is needed for sure.

As far as patching the lath goes, should we go for typical lath and plaster, or is there a better product out there?

Drywall. Use drywall shims to get it as close to original thickness as possible. Or you could use drywall itself and cut into little strips to make shims. My guess is if you're gonna use 1/2" drywall you'll need to shim around 3/8"-1/2" to get it close. Doesn't have to be perfect. That's what drywall mud is for. Don't forget to use drywall tape on all seems.

What exactly are you doing Gavin?

If it's small holes (like the size of a single gang J-Box) I've had a LOT of success using Plaster of Paris, after painting I can't even see the repair area. Just let it cure up a bit before slathering it on (so it hardens and is easier to work with).

Well, we ripped a few good holes in the walls. We exposed the back of the main, but stopped there as we don't want to kill ourselves trying to fish the new wires. I have an electrician coming over tomorrow evening to take a look.

The hard part of the attic work is that it is in a corner. Not alot of room in the corners up there.

Well, we pulled a small bit of 12-2 Romex last night, and got everything wired up.

Later this week we'll do the patch work and we'll be good to go.

Back