• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Minimum tools and parts required to repair a broken axle shaft?

xL8 APEKSx

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys,

I'm a little paranoid that I've been pushing my luck with my D35. I have never changed an axle shaft before, but I figure this is a good time to start carrying all of the tools required just in case this happens.

What would I need to have on-board (parts and tools) to be prepared to fix a broken axle shaft on the trail? Any info is appreciated. Thanks much!

Lugwrench. Jack. 12 point 13mm socket and handle. Spare shaft.

OOPS... Thought it said D30...

Whatever you need for the rear cover and the brake backing plate.

Is the 12pt 13mm the one for the pinion shaft lock bolt?

A basic set of hand tools will have everything you need. 1/2 drive might make things easier, and a hammer. You always need a BFH around.

You should keep your eyes open for a dana 44 at your local junkyards. Use www.car-part.com and search for a 1987 cherokee. It will pop up asking your gear ratio so make sure you search each gear ratio. I just found one for $200. Got it put on yesterday with only a few minor issues. Its nice to put that D35 behoind me.

Lugwrench. Jack. 12 point 13mm socket and handle. Spare shaft.

OOPS... Thought it said D30...

Whatever you need for the rear cover and the brake backing plate.

A basic set of hand tools will have everything you need. 1/2 drive might make things easier, and a hammer. You always need a BFH around.

Have you guys ever even worked on a Dana 35? Or just offering your best guesses? If you don't know, don't pretend that you do. You're just putting bad info out there for others to reference. :rolleyes: Hopefully you were just trying to be funny...:dunno:

We'll assume your 2001 has a C-clip D35. Removing a shaft on a C-clip Dana 35 is real simple. No need to remove backing plates, no need for a BFH, just a couple of simple tools.

We'll assume you have a jack and a lugnut wrench for changing flats. Aside from that, you need two wrenches: Whatever wrench fits your diff cover bolts, and a 12 point 1/4".

1. Remove tires and slide brake drums off.
2. Remove diff cover and drain oil.
3. Rotate your carrier until you find the cross pin lock screw. Remove it with the 12 point wrench and slide out your cross pin.
4. Push your axle shaft inward to expose the c-clip and remove it (with your fingers if it doesn't fall out on it's own).
5. Slide the shaft out. Reverse the above steps to reassemble.

Here's a basic write up that will help you visualize the procedure.

Keep in mind if you actually want to be able to do this on the trail, you will need both shafts (different lengths), a drain pain to catch your oil, something to pry off your diff cover, something to clean your diff mating surfaces, RTV to reseal your diff, and of course diff oil unless you plan on reusing the oil you drained.

A couple of other notes:

1. Getting the broken pieces of shaft out of your housing may require some creativity.
2. Make sure your replacement shafts have tone rings on them, otherwise your ABS will be disabled. You'll still be able to drive no problem, you'll just have your ABS light constantly reminding you to fix it right when you get home.
3. The bearings are pressed into the housing on this axle, not onto the shaft. No need to get bearings installed on your shafts ahead of time.

(Still trying to figure out how 1/2" drive would make anything easier.... :confused1)

Have you guys ever even worked on a Dana 35? Or just offering your best guesses? If you don't know, don't pretend that you do. You're just putting bad info out there for others to reference. :rolleyes: Hopefully you were just trying to be funny...:dunno:

We'll assume your 2001 has a C-clip D35. Removing a shaft on a C-clip Dana 35 is real simple. No need to remove backing plates, no need for a BFH, just a couple of simple tools.

We'll assume you have a jack and a lugnut wrench for changing flats. Aside from that, you need two wrenches: Whatever wrench fits your diff cover bolts, and a 12 point 1/4".

1. Remove tires and slide brake drums off.
2. Remove diff cover and drain oil.
3. Rotate your carrier until you find the cross pin lock screw. Remove it with the 12 point wrench and slide out your cross pin.
4. Push your axle shaft inward to expose the c-clip and remove it (with your fingers if it doesn't fall out on it's own).
5. Slide the shaft out. Reverse the above steps to reassemble.

Here's a basic write up that will help you visualize the procedure.

Keep in mind if you actually want to be able to do this on the trail, you will need both shafts (different lengths), a drain pain to catch your oil, something to pry off your diff cover, something to clean your diff mating surfaces, RTV to reseal your diff, and of course diff oil unless you plan on reusing the oil you drained.

A couple of other notes:

1. Getting the broken pieces of shaft out of your housing may require some creativity.
2. Make sure your replacement shafts have tone rings on them, otherwise your ABS will be disabled. You'll still be able to drive no problem, you'll just have your ABS light constantly reminding you to fix it right when you get home.
3. The bearings are pressed into the housing on this axle, not onto the shaft. No need to get bearings installed on your shafts ahead of time.

(Still trying to figure out how 1/2" drive would make anything easier.... :confused1)

Beautiful. Thanks!

GOOD POINT!!!
I know we are somewhat kidding (except turfzilla with his good idea) but these ARE all really good things to have on the trail for those "fixes" that are outside the scope of just replacing a part! They are easily forgettable, but priceless when needed...

Zip Ties!!! All sizes!
A really really good knife

You forgot to add praying that the cross shaft retaining bolt hasn't sheared off in the cross shaft.....It has happened to me a few times now and leaves you kind of stranded. I haven't put a ton of effort into trying to crack the remnants of the retainer apart but it isn't easy.

Back