• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what to do after a rollover

randomxj

NAXJA Forum User
As i keep pushing my xj harder and it just keeps "saying please sir may i have another" I know a flop or a hard roll is in my future.A full cage will be going in this winter and Im trying to take it easy but you know how that works on the trail. So my qustion is what do i do during and after Im upside down i know get out ,shut it off and all that. but whats the best way to recover whats good to winch off of on the udercarage and what engine fluids got into what that i have to worry about i hope this post can help me and others in the future. tia

Well while out Saturday my buddy rolled his Rubicon.We strapped it at the front and the back before righing it.Unfortunately while we still had him on pick,he tried to start it.It looks like he "hydrauliced" it,afterwards we pulled the plugs and tried to turn it over with a wrench,No-GO!!!Always take the time to pull the plugs and check all the fluids first(roll-over or water crossing) before trying to crank the engine over!

Usually the best location to right the rig would be the opposite rock rail. (If the vehicle's passenger side is facing you & it's upside down.) It's a good idea to use 2 winches on opposite sides (or snatch block it from the same side), so you can control the decent when it starts to come back onto it's wheels. Dont forget to clean up your mess after your rig pukes all over the rocks. :)

After my two rolls, I used my rock rails. Both times, I was on an incline, so we used a snatch block from the side to do the actual "pulling over", and had another attached to my front bumper to keep me from rolling anywhere (as vintagespeed mentioned above).
The just had to top off my oil (about 1.5 qts) each time; everything else was OK....well, except for the body damage.

http://www.fototime.com/{6C2C9986-713C-4FEE-ACF0-3774CEF91995}/picture.JPG

Calvin
NAXJA #365

thanks guys.Thats the type of info i was looking for hopfuly I will never have to use it.

Flopped on my side yesterday. We winched it up from the high part of a bumper from a snatch block mounted lower on a tree.

I flopped mine on the drivers side yesterday, when the LF tire blew a bead.

I shut the key off before it went all the way over... it was on it's side for maybe 10 minutes (it took longer for the ghouls to snap their pix than to right it.)

We ran a strap around the "B" pillar (?) brace between the f & r doors, with the windows open and the doors closed...easy pull with a W9000# and one snatch block tied to a tree beside/uphill from the Jeep, then once I was on the wheels again, I bumped the key a couple times, (engine was free) then cranked it over...started right up :) and powered the cable out while I eased down into & out of the hole that got me.

Not a bad deal...I got out a lot cheaper than many do.

Oh Yeah...BEFORE you roll, it's a great idea to TIE EVERYTHING DOWN! All my heavy/lethal junk stayed put...

Back