• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing Ignition Switch on a steering column

pabloconrad

NAXJA Forum User
I need to replace the ignition switch on the lower part of the steering column on my 85 XJ, non-tilt steering. The switch is jamming so it's time for a new one.

I am having a hard time locating the screws so I can remove it and replace it.

Any advice would be helpful.

ah i just saw you mean the electrical part of the switch. i dont know if that link i posted will help you. sorry!

Two screws on the upper left side way down the column. FSM says to drop the column to get to it, and pull the dash, another pain. Been there done that, second time around I was able to get in there and replace it with out pulling anything, but I already new what what to do by then.

Agreed. Not necessary to remove the seat as some suggest (might help in some cases if you are working outside in the cold). I don't think it is necessary to lower the column in most cases but I think it will probably help to remove the lower dash panel, at least the first time. Tape the rod that goes down from the dimmer switch to the column with a bit of masking tape or similar. If it should fall out, it is possible to stick it back into place without taking anything apart but it may take some patience.

Adjusting the new switch may take several tries to get all switch positions (accessory and start at opposite extremes) to engage properly.

Back