• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

newbie new to washingtons winter

swabib

NAXJA Forum User
First winter season here and I hear a lot about chains. I've lived 5 years in Summit County, Colorado and never needed them, why the hype here. Does it really get that bad?
Thanks

The Snow here is often very different hear than anywhere else in the country I am aware of and yes, sometimes chains are necessary.

More importantly there are times when the State Patrol require chains and will stop and check every vehicle on the passes. In the past if you had 4x4 and good all season tires they would only require that you had chains with you. Either way, if you plan to go up in the passes it is best to buy a set of chains if nothing else than you don't drive all the way up there and get turned around by the SP for not carrying them.

Michael

The Snow here is often very different hear than anywhere else in the country I am aware of and yes, sometimes chains are necessary.

More importantly there are times when the State Patrol require chains and will stop and check every vehicle on the passes. In the past if you had 4x4 and good all season tires they would only require that you had chains with you. Either way, if you plan to go up in the passes it is best to buy a set of chains if nothing else than you don't drive all the way up there and get turned around by the SP for not carrying them.

Michael

x2 get them just so the WSP doesn't give you crap, Ive never actually needed them. Also the ticket for not chaining up is around $500 IIRC

Pretty much what the others have said. In normal circumstances, when "chains are required", 4wd vehicles do not have to chain up, but are required to CARRY them. There are instances where the WSP can make a judgement call if the circumstances call for it and require ALL vehicles, even 4WD to chain up. I don't remember what they call it, and I've only ever seen it once, but it's possible.

Thank you,
I heard from someone at work that Seattle does not use salt on the roads, only sand. I guess I need to make it through my first winter here to see what is going on. I guess I am off to buy some chains, I read somewhere that you could return them in spring for a full refund.
Thanks again

There are instances where the WSP can make a judgement call if the circumstances call for it and require ALL vehicles, even 4WD to chain up. I don't remember what they call it, and I've only ever seen it once, but it's possible.

Yeah they usually close the road before they do that.

I know Les Schwab has the chain return thing, not sure who else. Just make sure they are in new, resellable condition, and hang onto your receipt.

Do you know where I can find chains for 35s?

Another question while I am on here. Are there any places to backcountry snowboard and hitch rides back to the top? And whats the deal with the 20,000 jeep clubs here, I dont know which one to join, if I need to join one at all.

Another question while I am on here. Are there any places to backcountry snowboard and hitch rides back to the top? And whats the deal with the 20,000 jeep clubs here, I dont know which one to join, if I need to join one at all.

Steven's, Alpental, and Crystal. The big deal is the WSP in this one, they will give ya a ticket if you get caught hitch hiking.

Wow, thats a lot different than riding in the rockies. Hitching was the way to go as we would line up in makeshift que lines to get a ride back up to the top of the pass. Looks like I will be purchasing lift tickets here.

Wow, thats a lot different than riding in the rockies. Hitching was the way to go as we would line up in makeshift que lines to get a ride back up to the top of the pass. Looks like I will be purchasing lift tickets here.

Either way you are going to want a ticket, you still have to ride the lift to get most places, and hike from there. You can get around the hitchhiking thing by having somebody pick you up. Find a group and have one person be the driver every run.

Thank you,
I heard from someone at work that Seattle does not use salt on the roads, only sand. I guess I need to make it through my first winter here to see what is going on. I guess I am off to buy some chains, I read somewhere that you could return them in spring for a full refund.
Thanks again

What size tires are you running? And welcome.

Rich

I agree with the others so far. And no it does not get that bad by any means. People on the west side of the state don't know how to change their driving styles and only see snow a couple times a year if that, so when the snow comes every one freaks out. If your use to driving around the rockies your set, just pick up a set of chains to make the man happy.

I've never heard the one about having to carry chains in a 4x4 with all-season M+S rated tires. I guess I'd better throw my old-school link chains in the back next time I head over the pass.

i will agree with the western wa vs. eastern wa thing. i'm from eastern wa, and anytime the weather goes bonkers on the west, everyone freaks. only time i've ever seen the WSP out ticketing people, it was the truckers. i was in my blazer with jeep wheels and tires, old blazer tires, and my jeep lift in the back....lots of fun headin over the pass at 30 mph the whole way.

I've never heard the one about having to carry chains in a 4x4 with all-season M+S rated tires. I guess I'd better throw my old-school link chains in the back next time I head over the pass.

You don't need to carry chains, it's only required for trucks over 10,000lbs. You'll just get turned away if they have an all vehicle chain requirement, and again they'll probably close the rd if it's that bad.

That's how I thought it always was, 4x4 = M+S tires = as good as chains. I did get stuck for about 15 minutes on Stevens last February during that major snowstorm/avalanche fiasco. They let us through just after the plow had run, but we had to detour down Blewett/Snoqualmie on the way back, since another evevn bigger avalanche had happened.

Back