• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

GOBI roof rack???

4x4life05

NAXJA Forum User
Hi guys I'm looking into buying a roof rack for my Jeep. I ran across one made by GOBI. I was just wondering if anybody has this rack and can give me some feedback on its pro's and con's. thanks. O and here's a link so you can check it out! http://www.gobiracks.com/Jeep/
:cheers: :NAXJA:

dont have gobi but I have a surco. Its a little flimsy but it works, I have my spare (32") up there, axe, shovel, hilift.

Get the gutter mounts, I made the mistake of getting the track mounts which made my heep leak. gutter mounts are far superior

I would say the biggest con for me would be a price over $1000 with shipping coming in at or near the cost of a "normal" rack. The pro is that they make super-cool racks.

I would prob be cheaper to get one built.

thats i nice one i liek how there is a set place for ur spare and u know it wont come undone or fall off if its tighten down good.

4x4life05 said:
Hi guys I'm looking into buying a roof rack for my Jeep. I ran across one made by GOBI. I was just wondering if anybody has this rack and can give me some feedback on its pro's and con's. thanks. O and here's a link so you can check it out! http://www.gobiracks.com/Jeep/
:cheers: :NAXJA:

I have one and love it. PM'd ya!

trailwerks-jeep-durango.jpg

Last edited:
I actually took their design, and built one myself. Only difference in mine vrs theirs, was mine was square tube steel. Looked pretty identical except for the curves were angles. I got tired of mine though and sold it to another XJ owner for $450.00 spent about $50.00 in metal, and 3 hours of welding.

Their nice racks, but the $1000.00 price is insane... i'd pass

I have to say I like the rack but really what caught my attention is the ladder for the rear hatch. It would sure make getting the spare down a lot easier.

Obviously the rear ladder has to be detachable to allow acess to the hatch. I think this could be kind of a PITA having to detach and re-attach everytime you need access to the rear. I wonder how that is fastened in and how sturdy it feels.

Nope, if you read the instructions on the site, it stays on all the time. The hatch still works as normal but I do think this only works on a '97+ with the steel hatch. Remember, with the hinge points being where they are at, the top lip area of the hatch goes above the roof so the ladder would not hit it.

huh, interesting.....well that makes it a helluva lot better then.

I just noticed you can buy the ladder seperately. Too bad it won't work on my XJ since I have a rear tire carrier. That would be good just to be able to get up on the roof rack to access stuff in general.

I like Spaz's idea. I think i'm going to build one. I wonder if I were to start making these on the side if there would people that would buy them. If I sold them for 400.00 and it looked just as good as the GOBI rack i'm thinkin I might have a chance to make some money on the side..What do the NAXJA members think?

I had the same thought. I also considered taking my current rack apart and reworking it into a Gobi-like one.

paging JCR and AJs you need to get in on this racket if folks are happily paying $1000 for a roof rack. I doubt my ability to make a great internal or exo cage for that matter. I know i can make as nice a roof rack as gobi though. For $1000 i think allot of guys would take up welding, i mean its not a life saving feature or isnt gonna end in a wheeling trip being shorted like if you were over ambitious in designing and fabbing some other things out of ones skill league.

With the exception of the gutter mounts they have (where can i buy something liek that ), i would much rather build it to my own specs anyways.

ShaunBaker said:
I like Spaz's idea. I think i'm going to build one. I wonder if I were to start making these on the side if there would people that would buy them. If I sold them for 400.00 and it looked just as good as the GOBI rack i'm thinkin I might have a chance to make some money on the side..What do the NAXJA members think?

I built mine and it was similar. I built it out of 1" Square Tubing Steel. It was freaking heavy, used 8 Thule Gutter mounts for the feet. Overall I was able to load it down to about 650lbs before it started to make noises at freeway speed.

As far as selling it, I got tired of the weight, and sold it for $450.00. Although I did graduate with a welding degree, and all the welds were perfect, the design wasn't very smooth, yes it looked good, but it was just a rack.

I'm going to spend some time in the next week, to mock up another one, this time using thin walled steel, and less of it, for a lighter rack. I'll take some pictures and add them to this thread, as my progress goes on. As far as you making them? ya it could be done, but you'll want to watch out for "stealing" their design, as that one could bite you in the ass.

If you have a pipe bender, i'd say more power to you.. Just a word of advise though if you dont' have a certificate in welding, i'd better make sure your welds are good and will hold or you may end up being in court one day when someones rack fails and your held accountable...

just my .02

Back