• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hassled for no flares in socal?

Hellbent

NAXJA Forum User
sometime soon i'll be trimming the front and rear fenders to make way for the eventual 265/75's or 285/75's i'll be running. i was going to move the flares up, but more and more i'm liking the flare-less look. i've seen quite a few xj's running around without flares, anybody getting hassled for this from THE MAN?

its hit and miss, i got 1 on hwy 38 going to bigbear, but thats 1 ticket out of prob. 40 trips up there..it was hwy patrol.

I've been pulled over twice, count it, TWICE in the past 3 weeks. And I don't daily drive my Jeep. Both times I was heading home from the trail, stopping to get some gas, in some po-dunk town. I think the cops were board and were profilin my hair cut.

In any event, they just wanted to run me through the ringer. Did I have any drugs, where I was going, where I was coming from. Didn't say anything about my Jeep, except one said my clear license plate cover was illegal. He wouldn't have noticed if it wasn't so messed up. It's a clear one but it's old and messed up.

I have 35x12.50s on 3.75" backspaced rims and no flares or mud flaps for the record.

X2 on hit and miss. A sheriff pulls me over because he can't read my plate. The CHP pulls me over for no good reason and just wants to know if I have anything illegal on me. Forget the fact that my tail lights are blacked out, I have no flares, my front plate is about 7 feet off the ground on the rack. Oh yeah, and my tires stick way out from the body.

i guess it's like the front plate thing. i don't have a front plate on either xj, haven't had one on any vehicle for at least a couple years, and i have NEVER been pulled over for it. nor has it ever even been mentioned when pulled over for something else. my tires shouldn't be hanging way out either. i'll see how many post up and how often you flare-less guys are getting stopped for it.

Never been stopped.

That said...I prefer flares, but I've lost all of mine. If you want to send them my way, I'd gladly take them! Let me know! :)

i guess it's like the front plate thing. i don't have a front plate on either xj, haven't had one on any vehicle for at least a couple years, and i have NEVER been pulled over for it.

Well on a previous "slammed" jeep--unlifted with sagging springs--my teen daughter & I got pulled over on I-15 on a Sat morning. He asked for license & reg; I didn't even have the reg or insurance papers in the Jeep at the time. Gave him my license, he ran it while I continued digging for paperwork. When he came back, I asked if I could know why he pulled me over. He said "Oh, you don't have a front license plate; you should fix that" and let me go (without ever showing proof of insurance OR registration--which might have been at the "partially done ownership transfer" at that point)... Of course, I look like a relatively normal suburban housewife a lot of the time. I'm thinking he was just on the lookout for some suspect in a white Cherokee.

Ive never been stopped and my tires stick out about 3 inches on either side. I also DD it with a full exo and during the summer i hardly run doors.

I drive about 1000 miles per month. Everywhere from Rivercide, to BB, to SD, to LA...

my .02

For me, its the whole uh... er... um.... no body thing.
Try fenderless. Suppose to have mud flaps 2...
when on the street now, I make sure that I have my front plate secure, both mirrors in place, and I can mamage to superglue about 1/4 of the front fenders in place. I'm boatsided too.
Cops so far have only done a double take when driving by. They see me securely strapped in, using my blinkers and not driving like a dipshit. goes a long way. I've been stopped for no front plate, no rear plate, no mirrors. Been told I could get busted for no fenders. But as far as the no doors, there is nothing in the code about that. When stopped for no rear plate, it had fallen off on the trail and was sitting in the back seat. no ticket. the front plate, it was in the garage. he said go put it on. No mirrors was in a gas station over a cup of coffee.
Keep in mind, Its all just a fix it ticket. just bolt em on, pay the 10 bucks and your done. no points on your record.
Cops have told me that they can respect a built up jeep that actually gets used like one and as long as i'm not a hazzard on the road, I don't deserve a ticket.

I got pulled over iin Irvine about 3 weeks ago. no ticket, but the cop said that "no tire can be protruding beyond the body".

I got some plans but not sure when it will get done.... may have to buy some pocket flares or find something to stick on there in the mean time.

I just made new attachment points for my front fenders. for the back... I just pulled em out by hand.

all you guys who said they never got one better knock on wood now..lol

I've been pulled over twice, count it, TWICE in the past 3 weeks. And I don't daily drive my Jeep. Both times I was heading home from the trail, stopping to get some gas, in some po-dunk town. I think the cops were board and were profilin my hair cut.

You really need to wear a trucker cap when your driving the streets.

I got popped in my Ranger the day I drove it out of the Hobby Shop after installing the new lift and tires. It had a 6" lift and 33's. I was driving it to the alignment shop. Cop gave me a fix it ticket. I ended up putting BWs on it and all was good. But this was back in 95 so things may have changed a little bit.

I used to get pulled over all the time in the XJ for no front plate. Once they would stop me they would start picking it apart. No mud flaps and tinted windows. I had BWs on it also, so the tire thing was never an issue. After the cop would point out everything that was wrong I would simply point out the Jeep had PA plates, PA does not issue a front plate. I would then fill hime full of crap about the windows and mud flaps.

Like others have said, it depends on the cop's mood and where you are at. I know for a fact that there is a cop in Carlsbad, off Palomar MTN Rd, who looks for those things.

Never had a problem back on 30s although I did keep my rear flares. I haven't driven on the street yet with the 33s...something about not having a current reg...:)

I live in simi valley (a lot of cops) and ive never been pulled over for it. Even in my old wrangler where the tires use to stick out half a foot, at least.

Back