• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

please set me straight v.DIY beadlocks

redneckboarder

NAXJA Forum User
i would like to make me some beadlocks.

few questions: is it as simple as weld a ring into the lip of the rim then one with a larger diameter holds the tire on the rim or am i barking up the wrong tree.

i have access to a plasma table with computer guidance how thick should they be and what sort of steel?

im probly gonna go with 25-35 bolts depending on size.

if anyone has detailed pix of your homemade locks post em up

BTW i am a competent welder before you ask

i would like to make me some beadlocks.

few questions: is it as simple as weld a ring into the lip of the rim then one with a larger diameter holds the tire on the rim or am i barking up the wrong tree.

i have access to a plasma table with computer guidance how thick should they be and what sort of steel?

im probly gonna go with 25-35 bolts depending on size.

if anyone has detailed pix of your homemade locks post em up

BTW i am a competent welder before you ask

I believe you need to mill off the safety bead before you can weld the inner ring on.
Billy

I believe you need to mill off the safety bead before you can weld the inner ring on.
Billy

oooh that's how they work. :gee: i could never understand how welding another ring on would do ANYTHING to hold the bead on. if the bead was gone, that would do the trick perfectly. i think.

ah so thats the catch i see...are we talking precision milling or will a calibrated eye and a grinder do?

and does the bead actually rest on the outside of the inner ring then get pinched by the outer bead?

Last edited:
ah so thats the catch i see...are we talking precision milling or will a calibrated eye and a grinder do?
sad.gif
I think you'd be asking for leaks!

and does the bead actually rest on the outside of the inner ring then get pinched by the outer bead?
You got it.

Billy

no you don't have to mill anything. just cut your inner ring so that it fits just inside of the lip on your rim. then weld the ring to the lip.
and to answer redneckboarders? the bead of the tire gets sandwitched between the inner and outer beadlock ring.

Billy

For proper beadlocks yes, but DIY beadlocks just weld the inner ring 'inside' of the current bead, its pretty ghetto.

no you don't have to mill anything. just cut your inner ring so that it fits just inside of the lip on your rim. then weld the ring to the lip.
and to answer redneckboarders? the bead of the tire gets sandwitched between the inner and outer beadlock ring.

this man speaks the truth.

easy weld to do, but make sure you grind any paint/powder coat off the rim before welding.

I used 24 bolt holes in 1/4" plate grade 250 steel

can post pics if you like.

yea i just researched it on pirate and ill proby end up going with the less ghetto style of cutting the existing bead off, and i dont want any more width on my tires,

lots of negativity regarding diy beadlocks these days, can anyone in addition to those who have allready, speak up with diy beadlock experience.

lots of negativity regarding diy beadlocks these days, can anyone in addition to those who have allready, speak up with diy beadlock experience.
cal says they are ghetto but i have had no problem with mine and they were cheaper than buying champions or something, that why i got them.

ive thought about making a set at work, were i run a CNC Mill. shouldnt be that hard, it basically two circles. just need 18" calipers. but to bad they dont let ANYONE do home projects. even off the clock on a sat morning. sucks!

Its not getto to leave the outter lip. Its actually better. It leaves more clamping force on the outter bead of the tire. The problem is, you still need to use bars or a tire machine to mount the tires. With aftermarket wheels, you drop the tire on and then bolt on the outter lip. Either way they all work fine. I have and have used both way. The DIY way also makes it a little harder if you are looking for balanced tires. All depends on how even your welds are. I would use atleast 1/4 steal for the inner ring, maybe 3/8 for a little overkill. And 1/4 for the outter ring. 32-35 bolts

Back