• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Crazy wheel wobble

aleXJ89

NAXJA Forum User
So recently i've come across a problem when driving my xj. If I am going between 15 and 35mph and hit a bump, or patch of new asphault (I live in utah, lots of patched roads) with the passenger side front wheel if feels like my whole axle is going to come off, violently shaking the whole car until I come to a stop. It doesn't happen every time I hit a bump but it seems to be getting worse and worse. Anyone have any idea what exactly could cause that? Any help is appreciated. Its an 89 automatic.

That is the famous Death Wobble. I had DW in my MJ. I replaced the lower control arm bushings, trackbar, steering box, steering shaft, tie rod, and drag link. Now no more DW.

Each individual component replaced helped. But the biggest difference came from the trackbar and tie rod ends.

You have something loose in the front end ,could be a number of things. For safety reasons I would check it asap.

Good Luck

Nick

Good Luck on your journey.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Possible causes of DEATH WOBBLE: Note: It can oftentimes be due to a combination of things!

-Front tires out of balance
-Improper lugnut torque on wheels
-Front alignment out of spec
-Loose track bar
-Worn track bar bushings
-Worn track bar end
-Bad bushings/joints in control arms
-Worn/damaged steering stabilizer (not generally a cause in and by itself)
-Worn/damaged shocks
-Worn/damaged tie rod end
-Bad U Joint
-Bad ball joint
-Loose frame mount
-Steering box looseness
-Bad front hub assembly

It is definitely related to the trackbar. I drove mine without a track bar b/c the factory one would not fit and I had the lift on it before I realized it. I hit a bump and had my first death wobble at 50mph. I got the new JKS trackbar which is good but it was not on the right nut setting and it had the tire toed out and it had the same death wobble as without a trackbar. Becareful because this can happen at 65mph as well!

It is definitely related to the trackbar. I drove mine without a track bar b/c the factory one would not fit and I had the lift on it before I realized it. I hit a bump and had my first death wobble at 50mph. I got the new JKS trackbar which is good but it was not on the right nut setting and it had the tire toed out and it had the same death wobble as without a trackbar. Becareful because this can happen at 65mph as well!

No tracbar at all? How the hell did that work out?

there is not definite answer to DW.

just because you were dumb enough to drive without a trackbar and got DW, doesnt mean the DW is always trackbar related.

for me it''s the lca'z. also my left ball joint is dead. basically the axle moves about half an inch left and right while steering...you can feel the front end cruisin from side to side. fun stuff

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth, with the vehicle on the ground or on ramps, while you are underneath and look for any play. (This checks tie rod ends, pitman arm, track bar, etc.) Then jack up each side in the front and try to get up and down play on the tire (this checks ball joints and wheel bearings).

Have someone turn the steering wheel back and forth, with the vehicle on the ground or on ramps, while you are underneath and look for any play. (This checks tie rod ends, pitman arm, track bar, etc.) Then jack up each side in the front and try to get up and down play on the tire (this checks ball joints and wheel bearings).

Or have someone drive and purposly hit bumps to cause the death wobble. Stick you head out the window, if the wheel isn't wobblen but the axle is moving in and out, its more like something to do with the track bar. If the axle doesn't move but the wheel is wobblen then its a wheel baring or ball joints. Then theres the possiblity of a wrong caster angle.... :D

Back